computer crashed

Discussion in 'Software' started by 4betterorworse, Sep 19, 2010.

1. 4betterorworse

4betterorworse Private E-2

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 for which I replaced the hard drive earlier this year when it crashed. Well, just last week my computer crashed and I had to reinstall the OS BUT the only OS program I have is the Upgrade Windows 7. And, guess what, I cannot register this product because it is an upgrade...what do you suggest I do? I have 25 days before I presume I cannot use my laptop at all (??).

P.S. I do have an external 1TB HDD however, there seems to be a problem with a missing driver...so basically I'm screwed...SEEKING THE BEST HELP OUT THERE FROM MY GEEKS.

Thank you.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Do you have it's original OS disc?

3. 4betterorworse

No, I do not have the Vista OS disc; however, I do have an Windows XP OS, would that work?

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Yes, that would work. You would need to again reformat and do a clean install of XP and then you should be able to upgrade to your win7 OS.

5. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

You can install the upgrade Win 7 as a fresh clean install and register it.

Simply format your HD and then install the Win 7 upgrade, but choose clean install when installing it.

When you need to register it, do the following:

goto this site. http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

On Method 2, do the registry hack and you are golden. I did this many times and it works fine. I actually did this for my work image that I pushed to 30 lappys and it worked fine.

Good luck. Let us know how it works.

6. 4betterorworse

MOTC7 and Tim;

Thank you both for your advice and expertise. I will reply once I've done/completed this recommendation.

Wish me luck,
    4betterorworse

7. 4betterorworse

MOTC7, finally got it done. I have so many pw on my laptop it took 3 rollbacks for me to remove them all (smile). I employed method 3 to get my W7 registered and everything was completed rather quickly. Thank you so much for you reply...I couldn't have corrected this without spending unnecessarily more money. My computer is my link to the outside world since I am partially disabled and getting around is very painful for me....you are MY geek angel:heart

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds