computer crashing/non responsive. please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nzodiac35, Jun 22, 2011.

1. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

hi there, my computer has severe problems, cannot post this via my laptop as it seems to crash. i iinitially thought it was crashing once i clicked on firefox but now its happening when i click start menu and try enter my computer for e.g.

i have performed a CHKDSK and seems to be no problem, did full computer scan, got kaspersky internet security before this problem got worse, nothing there either.

personally think its a hardware problem but what do i know.

its a vista home premium 32-bit. Hewlett Packard (HP) Pavilion DV2899EA
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9300 2.5GHz
    Memory: 4GB DDR2
    HD Capacity: 320GB
    Display: 14.1" 1280x800
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS 128MB

anyway i can help or get information for you geniuses, i will do my best.

i have tried googling the problem and tried some steps, e.g. uninstall firefox(because i thought this was the root problem) but it is not.

thanks,
    nzodiac35

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi , connect your laptop with external screen , perchaps your gpu is dead ( nvidia series 7 and 8 have a problem generally ) , try it !! :wave

3. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Do you get any error message when it crashes? how old is it? Sounds like overheating.

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

As I suspected there is a common theme of "overheating" which is a primary cause of many PC shut-downs and is a built in feature of PC's to preserve hardware, you are most likely experiencing shut downs during time's of load/stress on the PC:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ry&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&lang=en&product=3716703

http://www.google.com.au/search?aq=...gc.r_pw.&fp=820258e3d9a2ae17&biw=1920&bih=985

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-compaq/356248-dv2899ea-heat-issues.html

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...it-on-hp/dbe7b87b-3bb8-4655-b7fe-d1b55af7d838

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ry&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&product=3716703&lang=en

Simply from a quick look at these threads the Intel/nVidia combo does not have sufficient heat management to maintain these laptops for many years without ongoing cleaning. This is a potential for all laptops due to size vs power limiting good air flow.

Can you access the BIOS and assess the Hardware monitoring section and look at the CPU Temp before the OS has loaded?

5. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

thank you all for the replies...much appreciated.

before i reply individually the laptop is slightly better than when i posted this message, it is turning on and i am able to use e.g. i went into safe mode, uninstalled firefox and then eventually managed to start normally n download firefox new version and create a new profile and it has got slightly better but now.....howeverr..........there are defintely still problems

- Falcon attack - i tried connecting it with my samsung monitor and the problem was still there.

- Tueur - it is about 3 years old but only everyday use since for the last year and a half. no error messages in particular, however when it freezes and i try to press clt+alt+del to get into task manager, it comes up with "logon process has failed to create the security options dialog.......failure security options"
    today i used, went downstairs to watch some tennis came back 2 hours later and the screen was black, tried moving the mouse but no display on the screen, i came back in 10 minutes, and it had restarted on its own and entering windows, it came up with a message "windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown".

-bold eagle - i am pretty sure that i should be able to, however i dont no how to get into it and which things i should be looking for, f8/f11/f12???

I have attached an attachement of the temperature of all hardware using speccy. Also there is defintiely a problem still because today afternoon i turned it on, entered my password and it wouldnt start up, just stayed on the logon page and hence i had to restart n then it worked.

thanks. please post any help, i will try and do it.

Attached Files:

6. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

i've noticed a pattern. i start up the computer, enter my password and doesnt get past the welcome circling around and hence have to restart and then it will work.

the other major problem is, whilst i start using it, n go off for about half an hour come back and try and use it, it freeezes, nothing responds and hence i have to manually restart,

surely all this restarting is bad for the computer, anybody and help?

thanks

7. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

I've changed my mind. I think it is more likely a Windows/HD issue.

1. What HD make and model do you have?
    2. Do you have a Windows install/system restore disk?
    3. Is your PC custom built or branded?

While restarting can cause problems and isn't good to do long term it shouldn't cause major problems short term

8. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

THANK YOU FOR REPLYING,

1. I TAKE IT YOUR REFERRING TO THE HARD DRIVE? looking under device manager/disk drives/ it says Toshiba MK3252GSX

2. when i bought the laptop i had to create my own recovery disks so yes i have them.

3. its branded, HP, its a vista home premium 32-bit. Hewlett Packard (HP) Pavilion DV2899EA
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9300 2.5GHz
    Memory: 4GB DDR2
    HD Capacity: 320GB
    Display: 14.1" 1280x800
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS 128MB.

Thanks

9. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

10. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

hi there, downloaded it, run it but comes up with a message 'please select the target drive to test'. there are no options for me to choose. please help.

thanks

11. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Please click on the link below to download and install Speccy

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard

Once installed please run it and allow the software to run through. Please then click on "file" and "save as text file". This will save your system spec to .txt file

Please open that file. look under the OS section and delete your Windows Serial number then copy and paste the contents of the file into your reply.

Thank you

12. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

hi m8, thanks for the help, really appreciating it. i've attached what you asked for.

in regards to the previous task, is there something i have to do run the diagnostic on the hard drive??

thanks

Attached Files:

13. raven sorrel

raven sorrel Private E-2

Someone keeps invading my system i all ready took care of of the threats they put in my computer but my yahoo is firing up on it's own. And so is my cam without the light coming on my friend said they were able to see me. I have never had this happen any idea's guy's. SOMEONE HAS CONTROL OF MY COMPUTER AT RANDOM TIMES I DID A SCAN. THE FIREWALL IS COMIING DOWN AS WELL.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  14. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

I think you are being a bit paranoid. Start a new thread in the seurity section for help.

15. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Im not that familiar with that particuar diagnostic tool. Each HD manufaturer makes there own diagnostic tool.

Click here to download Hitach DFT CD ISO image. you will need to burn this disk to a cd using image burning software. Do not just burn a data disk. If you need some image burning software then Active@ ISO burner is free.

Once burned this will create a bootable disk that you can use to test your HD. Put the CD in your drive and reboot your PC. You may need change the boot sequence in or system BIOS so that your PC boots from CD before the hard disk.

16. nzodiac35

nzodiac35 Private E-2

hello tueur,

thanks for the reply, did what you told me but im lost, got the bootup to start from cd just by putting the cd in, but message comes up with,

pc dos 7.0 startup menu,

1. for adapter
    2. for LSI 320 controller
    3. for Tekram and Symbios controllers.
    4. for Atio 320 controller

no idea which 1 to pick?

what did the results of speccy tell you?

thanks,

17. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Hi nzodiak35

Here is the guide for DFT which will probably explain how to use the software better than I can.

Speccy basically lists your system properties to allow us to see exactly wha t hardware you have in your system and also what core software you have. It makes it easier to diagnose problems if you have the full picture.

It looks like it is listing different controllers but that doesn't tie up with what DFT should do so I am a little confused. Try for adapter and see where you go.

Im on holiday for a couple of weeks from today so there may be a bit of a delay in responding

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds