computer died need help in ruling out posablitys

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luggie, Apr 26, 2006.

1. luggie

luggie Private E-2

ok im doing this on my labtop cause my destop just died and needing to know what it might be. im not a noob with comp i build my own but not sure what went wrong here.

first of my comp starts saying my graphics card doesnt have enought power to the graphics card. i restart every thing works. then few weeks later its start randomly just turning off with the power light still on but comp is completly dead. once i restart flip the swich off on my psu its ok. cpu wasnt overheating or nothing. then today it just killed over. power will come on hard drive will not kick in fans run grapics card fan isnt moving its agp 8x geforce 6600 gt prety new. and my cpu light on front has no activty. and the screen stays black doesnt even boot to the bios. whats this sound like to u guys im thinking ether cpu or psu but not sure. maybe graphics but it would still boot without the graphics well to bios at least. help

2. Chris avz

Chris avz Private First Class

3. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Yeah, I would suspect the power supply first. If you can swap out another one, try that. If not the power supply, I would guess motherboard.

4. luggie

luggie Private E-2

yes my atx is connected to my geforce

5. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

you might try unplugging everything but the hard drive and see if the psu has enough stuff left to boot up,the psu is my pick for being bad.

6. sheesh721

sheesh721 Private First Class

Second for the PSU. If you can test it, I'd do so. If not I don't think it would be unwise to pick up a PSU to someplace where you can return it easily if it doesn't solve the problem.

7. luggie

luggie Private E-2

got it fixed it was the +3.3v went bad on my psu used a tester on it i got off my boss. first time my psu didnt completly kill over.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds