Computer Doesn't Boot.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DrMaestro, May 15, 2016.

1. DrMaestro

DrMaestro Private E-2

Hi,

My pc is approximately 2-3 years old. It is an i7 with 32 Gb ram, a 250 gb ssd HD ,2x2Tb normal HD, an Nvidia 680 gtx, a 750 watt psu and a blu ray writer. I use a 64 bit Windows 7. Today I was using it and everything was ok. I was preparing a file for 3d printing. My slicing program generated the gcode and I inserted an sd card to the sd card reader. Suddenly the slicer program became unresponsive but everything else was working. I tried to use taskmanager to shut the slicer down so that I could restart it buttaskmanager was unable to shut it down. I tought it would be better to restart the computer and initiated a restart. I went out of the room for a minute and when I came back there was a black screen with no cursor. I waited 1-2 minutes and decided to soft-reset the computer. This time I've seen a warning telling me that Windows couldn't boot and it offered me the option to check for a hardware problem (this is the first time I have seen Windows suggesting to run a hardware diagnostic. Normally,when I couldn't boot for a reason, it suggested booting in safe mode, but this time it offered me to check for a hardware problem). I declined the offer and asked it to continue booting. Unfortunately, I had the black screen again, so I resetted again hoping to run the hardware diagnostic this time, however I don't see that offer anymore. When the computer turns on the screen turns on but displays a black screen without a cursor. The keyboard and mouse lights are turned on but they are unresponsive.I don't see a bios boot screen and cannot go to the bios options. There is no warning whatsoever, no abnormal beeping. This is a very difficult situation as I don't see any indications on what is going wrong. I am not overclocking anything and have appropriate cooling fans. I'd appreciate if someone could guide me a little bit. The usual suspects would be the graphics card, the mainboard ,the cpu or the ram. I don't think it is a hard eisk problem as I have swapped them and there is no difference.

Thanks

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi, Doc. Try removing the SD card (and any other external devices) and then booting up.

Eldon, plodr and DrMaestro like this.
  3. DrMaestro

DrMaestro Private E-2

Hi satrow,

I removed the sd card and the computer just booted :)

Such a simple solution! I can't understand why the computer doesn't give me any warnings, it probably would try to boot from the sd card, but I would expect an error, so maybe this is a different problem.

Thank you very much.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

It may have but it might have been so early in the boot process, the computer and monitor had not yet completed any "handshaking" (syncing) to display the warning (or prompt) yet.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'll have to file that solution away! I never would have suspected an sd card to cause a boot problem.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

That was pretty common in the old XP days when if you had a floppy in the drive the computer would not boot.

Eldon likes this.
  7. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

He should change boot order/sequence in BIOS so that the non-bootable SD card is last or disable booting from SD card entirely.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds