Computer Doesn't recognize Cd's or Dvd's

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gigig, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Gigig

Gigig Private E-2

Hello, I've read through many pages on this forum, and I found something similar however not exact to what I am having a problem with, so I'm going to ask. However, if this has already been covered, please let me know where.

Recently I noticed my dvd/cd rom drive on my computer won't reconize disks. It starts to run, sounds like its going to load, then . . .nothing. I try to click on the drive to open it and it asks me to insert a disk, even when there's one in there. No errors on the drives in my device manager and all drivers are up to date?

I did notice however that there are three errors elsewhere in device manager, but I couldn't figure out if they were connected to it? The errors are on:

Windev-3cf2-863
    system32\drivers\nic1394.sys
    system32\drivers\serial.sys

It says that there are problems with these drivers or that they are uninstalled. Could this be related to the dvd/cd problem?

As you can see, I'm not super tech savvy, so I could be completely off base?

Thanks for your help in advance!

G

2. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

I don't know what Windev-3cf2-863 is, unless it has something to do with the IDE, but I think the other two are for the network and serial ports. Sadly, I have encountered the problem I think you have many times over the years. It can be caused by the drive's lens getting scratched or clogged with a film or dust. I haven't found a solution, but sometimes you can get a little more out of the drive by opening the tray and blowing compressed air into the slot (with power off, and probably out of the case so you don't get it dusty. And I often clean the case too, if needed.) You can get drive cleaning discs with brushes that clean inside, but they don't do much if the drive can't see them, because they don't spin fast enough unless they tell the drive to spin faster. It can be dangerous to open CD drives, as they have a laser inside. Modern drives are self-cleaning to a large extent, but this seems to keep happening. I just keep replacing them.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

nic1394 is a firewire miniport. Do you use anything with firewire? If you see a yellow !, this might not be something you need so is no cause for concern.

What is windev-3cf2-863 listed under in device manager?

4. Gigig

Gigig Private E-2

The windev-3cf2-863 is listed under the NON-plug and play drivers, a yellow ! is also listed under Serial in the Non-Plug and Play drivers list. The only other yellow ! is on 1394 network adapter under the network adapter heading.

Thanks for the help. I'll try using compressed air. I've never had this problem before? So, its a little strange to me.

Thanks,

Gigi

5. GringoCowboy

GringoCowboy Private E-2

sometime's a virus/trojan infection can cause ur optical drive 2 not work. have u ran any a/v scans or malwarebytes etc?

6. Gigig

Gigig Private E-2

Hello, thanks for all youre help! Yes I have ran the virus/malware scans. I haven't found anything. However I have found a new problem lately. My computer has decided to not turn on, so, if I turn it off, it takes about 15 minutes for it to turn on.

It doesn't boot, it just doesn't turn on. eventually the button works, but it takes a while. I was told by someone in my office that the power supply may be dying.

Now I need to look into backing up my computer. Any suggestions for an external hard drive to back up to?

I'm thinking about giving up on the CD not working and backing up in preparation for the entire thing to die. Not pretty, but realistic.

Thanks,

G

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds