Computer doesn't recognize Cruzer 16GB flash drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blueone, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

It works on my laptop and I even tried to install newer drivers but it said the ones it had were OK. I tried uninstalling it and checking for hardware changes but that doesn't help. It leads me to an install procedure which fails. I'm going to take it back Monday if I can't get it working. Any ideas? My system is XP home and I have a 2200 AMD processor.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have you tried connecting it to the USB port in the back of the computer. I assume you are talking about a desktop. There may be a conflict with other devices that were assigned to that particular USB port.

3. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I've connected it to a port in the front but not the back. I don't have a spare back there, they're full. I remember that I had changed my mouse to a ps2 and plugged the flash drive into it. It went through a found hardware install procedure (which I've tried before) and it failed in the back as well.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  4. tgell

5. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I messed up, I hope I can do a system restore and start over again. I copied the program to my desktop, unzipped it but forgot to place it in System 32 before I put it in cmd and ran the exe. I can't even get my USB hub to install now and it has a cd. I'll get back to you.

6. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I did a system restore and still can't install my hub which had my 6 in 1 reader on it that I download pictures with. Any suggestions?

7. tgell

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? Did your Hub have drivers included?

8. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

There is a question mark in DV and no, the hub didn't come with any drivers.

9. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I bought 4 16GB flash drives with only one not working, now none of them work including my Hub.

10. tgell

What is the question mark? If you right click and select properties under the Driver tab can you post the Vendor and Device ID.

[​IMG]

When you ran the drivecleanup.exe file, did you have the hub disconnected?

Another thing you can try is to disconnect your hub. Reboot and then reconnect the hub to see if XP will detect it.

11. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

Everything was unplugged and I've done a system restore in safe mose (won't do it regularly}. I've rebooted and it won't recognise it. After checking properties, it says the drivers aren't installed.

below is a description

USB\VID_05E3&PID_0608\5&2E64F456&0&2

I'm thinking of going to safe mode and see if will install it.

12. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I went in to safe mode and it not only allowed me to install the hub but ALL of the Cruzer flash drives as well. I right clicked on all of them and it said the drivers weren't installed. I clicked on install drivers and now everything is OKEY DOKEY. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then don't they? I can relax now and watch some sports.

13. tgell

Good Detective Work! Thanks for the feedback. :)

14. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I'm curious to know if I could have installed them if I hadn't ran that driver program first. Oh well, I'm a happy camper anyway.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds