Computer for Photoshop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by magnum44, Dec 19, 2012.

?

What do you think?

1. The first example

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The seccond example

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Something in between (Please comment and explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. None (Please comment and explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. magnum44

magnum44 Private E-2

Hello. My sister-in-law is a professional photographer. Since I have experience in putting together computers, I was asked to help her build a computer for her use. She uses Adobe Photoshop CS5 (wil probbably upgrade to CS6 soon) and takes photos in 32 MegaPixel, and maybe even more in the future. I tried putting together something on a norweigan website where I can buy parts, at it looks like this:

ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE $340
    Corsair SSD Force Series GT 180GB 2.5" £235
    Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Elite 1600Mhz 4GB $130 (x4 $120)
    Intel® Core i5-3570K $300
    Lite-On DVD±RW Writer $30
    Logitech Desktop MK120 Mouse and keyboard $27
    Logitech Speaker System Z323 $60
    PNY Quadro® 2000D 1GB GDDR5 $720
    Seagate Barracuda® 3TB SATA 6Gb/s $190
    Silver Power SP-S850 850W $135
    In-Win EA040 Midi Tower $70

This is of course without a screen, of wich I have no clue of what to look for.

I tried posting this on a norwegian forum, and got an suggestion, which i doubted a little. It reads:

Asus PB278Q $785
    Intel Core i7 3930K $735
    Asus GeForce GTX 660 TI OC 2GB $425
    Asus P9X79 PRO $375
    Corsair SP2500 $225
    Intel 335 Series SSD 240GB $220
    Logitech G710 Gaming Keyboard $185
    Seagate Barracuda 3TB 6Gb/s $170 (x2 $340)
    Corsair TX850M 850W $160
    Logitech G700 $100
    CORSAIR 16GB DDR3 VENGEANCE LP PC3-12800 1600MHZ CL9 (4X8GB) $200
    And no case, whitch is not important

Theese are about the same price, only the screen makes the last example more expensive, but a screen is needed anyway.
    My sister-in-law is willing to pay what it takes to get a computer good enough for her professional use. Se expects to paw at least $2500-3500. I don't know whats she's doing about sccreen, because she knows alot about it. Maby she picks a screen worth $3000-4000.

So my question is. What do you think? I just needs some other points of view. I accept that i don't know anything about this matter. I can accept the powerfull processor, the SSD, the HDD's and the PSU of the later example.
    I have the Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE, the Intel Core i5-3570K myself, and are very happy with them all. I allso have the Logitech G700 Mouse, and are happy with that aswell.

The guy that gave me that latter example told me that a extremly good GPU wasn't neccesary, but then I ask myself, Why a GTX 660 TI? Is that neccesary then? Wouldn't I get a good enough card for $250-300?

Remember. This is a vcomputer to be used by a professional photographer. Not a gamer.

I appologize for spelling mistakes

Thank You

- Magnum

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I don't build machines, so can not give you any specific info regarding the components you have listed there.

I'm going to tell you though, as a huge Photoshop user and photographer, the absolute most important things you need to use it effectively without bogging your system down are:

The most amount of RAM you can put into it. PS uses tons of memory. RAM is probably your cheapest aspect of a computer...go all out.

A very fast processor (quad core)

Photoshop also uses a 'scratch disk' to store the things it's doing. If you are building a machine specifically for this, you need a separate HDD just for PS's use.

Your graphics card needs to support GPU acceleration. It doesn't have to be some top of the line gaming card, but get a good one.

I don't typically do this, but I'm going to post this link for you that better goes over this info: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/build-your-own-ultimate-adobe-photoshop-cs6-pc/19985

I don't know how accurate the specifics are, but the gist is valid.

I think based on your price range, that is more than enough to build an extreme top of the line machine for it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds