Computer freezes at black screen (press del to enter setup)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Smartslug, May 29, 2006.

1. Smartslug

Smartslug Private First Class

Hello, I have a huge problem with the computer my uncle has built for the family. When I load it up, the very first screen comes up saying the "Energy EPA Pollution Preventer" and "press del to enter setup" etc. The problem is, the keyboard wont reconize it, so I cant press Delete. I think I have the keyboard into the right slot...when I put it in, the scroll, number, and caps lock flash and then they wont flash when I press their keys. I belive the operating system is XP but I cant be too sure because I cant get past this screen!

By the way, It dosnt do anything at the black screen, like go through the drives and stuff like on the startup of a working comp. all it says it:

Award pulg and play BIOS extention V1.0A (with a flashing underscore under the A"

Someone please help me! I want to get it up and running so badly!!!

2. Smartslug

New info - when I pop in the windows Xp cd, it runs through the detecting of the stuff, but when its finished, it just restarts itself...but the 2nd time, there is no detecting.

thanks for any help

3. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Hi Smartslug,

Are you using a USB KB or a PS/2 KB. Try using a PS/2 KB. The plug-in for that should be next to the mouse plug-in.

If you're using a USB KB then you might have to enter into the BIOS and look for "Enable USB keyboard".

4. ST47

ST47 Private First Class

cant get in the bios without a keyboard...
    and with the slots thing he said i think he is using PS/2 - try switching the keyboard tot he other slot and see if that works, beyond that, I'm sorry but I have no idea unless you can use the keyboard you just used to type to us on the computer with the problem?

5. Smartslug

Alright...The keyboard came back to life agian...but now theres an error after detecting... "hardware monitor found an error"

the temp is around 40 C...

6. ST47

ST47 Private First Class

any specific error or just 'error'?

by the temp, cpu temp?

7. Smartslug

No more error(for now) startup goes straight to BIOS.

yes, cpu temp is around 44c...MB temp is 38c.

So the question is: What do I change/enable/disable etc. in the BIOS to just make windows start???

please help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds