Computer Freezes or Reboots randomly

Discussion in 'Software' started by akadis, Mar 8, 2011.

1. akadis

akadis Private E-2

Since last week, my computer has been acting very strange. It freezes randomly a couple of times a day, and every morning after being unused all night.

It has also rebooted by itself 3 or 4 times since last week. Once after one of these auto-reboots, the windows identified an error with my video device driver. I decreased the hardware acceleration as recommended by Microsoft, since I could not find an updated version of the driver, but the problems still occur.

I first posted my problem on the Malware foroum and I ran the recommended malware removal tools, but nothing was reported as infected, and they recommended posting my problem in the Software forum.

Windows XP
    Sony Vaio VGC-RB57GY
    Intel
    Pentium 4
    3.4 GHz
    1 GB RAM
    RADEON X600XT

Thanks for your help.

2. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Have you tried uninstalling the video card and driver in Device Manager yet?

Goto My Computer and right click/Manage.
    Click on Device Manager, expand the part under Display.
    Right click and then click uninstall.
    If you are prompted to uninstall the driver, do it.
    Reboot and let it auto discover your device and reinstall the driver.

If that doesn't work, could be a system file issue. run sfc /scannow from a command prompt.

Let us know.

3. kench

kench Private First Class

this maybe your ram...try cleaning and reseating your ram modules...

4. akadis

akadis Private E-2

@ MOTC7: I will try your suggestions and report back in a few minutes.

@ KENCH: How do I clean and reset the ram modules?

I forgot to mention that I bought two cans of compressed gas duster, and used them to clean the PC as much as I could. All fans were really dusty, including the one in the video card. After this cleanup, the computer didn't freeze all day yesterday, but this morning it was not responding again.

5. motc7

6. akadis

akadis Private E-2

I've uninstalled the video card driver and let windows discover and reinstall it.

I started running the sfc /scannow, but then it asked me for my Windows CD, and since Windows came pre-installed in the computer, all I have is the recovery disks, so I canceled the operation. Shall I try again skipping inserting the recovery disks?

Will let the PC working for a while to see if the video card drier reinstall fixed anything, and if not i will proceed with the next suggested steps.

7. motc7

Strange that it's asking for the Windows CD. Usually just runs. Might be pointing to a big ole problem.

Try the system without doing sfc /scannow and see what happens yeah. let us know.

8. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, akadis.

To clarify: the System File Checker will ask for the Windows CD if the SFC has found files that it must replace.

If one of the Recovery Disks is labeled 'Operating System' or similar, then insert that disk when SFC asks for it.

9. akadis

akadis Private E-2

@ Caliban: You're right... when I got the message asking for the Windows CD, there was a statement about dll's to be replaced...

Checked my Recovery disks. There are two of them, but they only say Disc 1/2 and Disc 2/2

I am not sure what will happen if I insert any of these discs... I will try to view what's in them.

Thanks!

10. Caliban

Logic would dictate that the first disk should be the OS, but you can try them both - won't hurt anything.

Another thing you might try is go to Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced > Startup and Recovery settings (this is the Win 7 path, but yours should be similar). Make sure 'Automatically restart' is not checked, and OK out.

Now, when your system crashes, you should be presented with a blue screen. Try to record any information given and post it here.

11. akadis

akadis Private E-2

I will give it a try.

I Need to finish a project due by 5pm... so I will try the SFC after this.

Thanks so much for all the help.

12. akadis

akadis Private E-2

So far, my computer has been working smoothly without freezes or auto-reboots. Not sure if uninstalling the video card driver did the trick, but I really hope so.

I unchecked the "Automatic Restart", so if any of these issues happen again, I will record the blue screen message, and I will try the SFC next.

13. akadis

akadis Private E-2

It froze again. No blue screen, since it just froze. Tried the SFC again, and this is the exact message I get:
    "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache. Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD now."

I tried both Recovery discs, but it said that they were not the correct cds. So I hit "Cancel", and got this message:

"If you cancel, Windows might require you to insert a CD later. Are you sure you want to skip this file?"

So, I canceled the SFC altogether, since I don't know what will happen if I let it run without providing the requested CD.

Shall I proceed with trying to clean the RAM? I am lost...

14. kench

kench Private First Class

Cleaning your ram...first of all turn the computer right off and let it sit for a few seconds to disapate any charge that maybe left hanging around...hopefully you're not doing this on a carpet...you can keep from building a charge by touching the case every once in a while...if you've used compressed air without taking the ram out you may have pushed some of the dusties deeper into the ram holder (the name of them escapes me...where you took the ram out of) lol...you can use a clean paint brush to sweep out any dust left in the nooks and crannies (if you have one)...one for the nooks and one for the crannies...hahaha...anyway old ways...I'm not sure about using an eraser on the contacts...but if the contacts look like they have pencil on them then their pretty worn out and that would be your problem right there...hopefully that's not the case and you can put them back without a problem...do this for your video card also...hope this helps in some small way...

15. Caliban

If you're still having problems after reinstalling your video drivers and cleaning/reseating RAM, you might try booting to the Recovery Disk(s) - there may be options (such as Recovery Console) included with the OEM's procedures.

16. akadis

akadis Private E-2

For the past couple of days, the computer worked fine while I was using it, even with many applications opened at the same time. However, it rebooted at night when idle, then froze. I was monitoring temperatures (which showed as normal) and did a chkdsk.

I just cleaned the RAM and Video card slots and did a thorough cleaning. Will see how it behaves tonight when it's idle.

17. Sonic Star

Sonic Star Private E-2

This happened to me two weeks a go.

My video card was stuffed and that was the issue, new drivers made no difference.

bought and installed a new video card and my pc was working fine again.

18. akadis

akadis Private E-2

The PC rebooted again while doing the backup... Then I freaked out because when it started again, Windows wouldn't load at all. I finally realized that the external HD was connected and apparently the PC was thinking that Windows was in the external HD.

I think that the video card may be causing my problems too, since the only time I got an error message, it was pointing to the Video driver. I've been trying to update the driver (I downloaded the updated driver from Sony's page dedicated to my computer model VGC-RB57GY) and I keep getting a message saying that the driver is not for my computer.

What video card would you recommend? My PC is a Sony Vaio, Windows XP Media Center Edition, Pentium 4, 3.4 GHz, 1GB RAM, 280 GB HD. The installed video Card is a RADEON X600XT.

Thanks to all for the help.

19. akadis

akadis Private E-2

Correction: Sony VAIO Model VGC-RA826G

20. Sonic Star

Sonic Star Private E-2

RADEON video card.

If you start your pc in safe mode and it all works fine then you know it is the video card which wont load windows and which is freezing.

Or completely un install your video card drivers and use your computer without the video card.

again if it all works fine you know you will need a new video card.

21. akadis

akadis Private E-2

I was finally able to update the driver for my video card, and for the fist time in weeks, the computer didn't reboot or freeze after being idle all night.

A new video card will definitely be my next step. Will report if I have any more problems. Thank you all.

22. akadis

akadis Private E-2

I spoke too soon, and the computer did crash several times a couple of days ago, but now Success!! I installed a new video card and for two days and in a row all is back to normal.

No freezing, no auto-rebooting, no Windows errors.

Problem solved.

23. Caliban

Glad you got it sorted, akadis, and thanks for the feedback. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds