computer freezes/restarts/BSODs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wildo, Jan 30, 2007.

1. wildo

wildo Private E-2

System Specs:
    Abit KN8 SLI socket 939
    AMD Opteron Denmark 2.0 GHZ
    2 Gig G-Skill DDR400 RAM
    250 GB Sata Western Digital HardDrive
    Coolmax 500W power supply
    eVGA nVidia 7950 512 MB
    XP Home
    Samsung DVD-RW

I built this box about 2 weeks ago and everything was running smoothly until this last weekend... on Friday I got a BSOD with a BAD_POOL_HEADER message... hoping it was just a random fluke I rebooted and everything worked until Sunday... on Sunday, I got various BSODs that were happening so frequently I got frustrated and stopped writing them down, but BAD_POOL_HEADER happend a few times, then one with IRQ and PNF at the beggining were also happening... with many of the reboots I was noticing that Symantec was having errors and the virus database was rolling back... also, the AC97 audio drivers were being disabled, so my early theory was some sort of driver/software incompatability...

Did a complete reformat Sunday Night and put on the basic stuff, except this time I kept Symantec off and put on AVG, after reading some forum stuff about issues with Symantec and XP SP2... this time, everything was working well for a few hours, but as I was installing WoW I had some error while I was away from the screen that happened while the screensaver came on (forgot to disable it) and then afterwards, I was getting errors about the hard driver being write protected when I tried to install WoW again, or the disc having an issue... then I tried to restart and it would get to the welcome screen and just reboot again, in a fantasic cycle...

Today I reformatted again on my lunchbreak and got XP on there again, booted up fine... put on just the drivers for the onboard LAN and audio, then reset and am letting it run a CPU burn in test while I work... also ran memtest86 last night with no problems...

What I would like to see if anyone knows any possible issues behind this?? I was thinking it was a HD problem, but the fact the HD works fine after a clean reinstall makes me think otherwise... any help would be awesome, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum... thanks...

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That is something I have not seen before. I did a quick search on BAD_POOL_HEADER and it looks like you might have a driver conflict with your video card. You might try installing a newer driver, or if you have the newest, try an older one.

I would check your mobo makers site and see if there are any new BIOS that address the BAD_POOL_HEADER error.

Good luck

E

3. wildo

wildo Private E-2

came home after work and installed some windows update files, a couple of which failed (no idea why) and on reboot was unable to reboot because windows could not find winlogon.exe and some other .dll files...

is my harddrive just randomly deleting things?? I have no idea here, any help would be great....

4. wildo

wildo Private E-2

just locked up again with a PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error...

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

PFN and POOL are registry building errors. You 'asembled' the pc recently, were the components new, in particular the hard drive? Have you run checkdisk? Where did the Windows come from and how are you going to SP2? I'm also not sure all that stuff on your list is certified as Win XP compatible?

Studio T

6. PC Place

PC Place Private E-2

1 Word... Motherboard... Try the drive in another computer with the same config of hardware...

1st guess guarenteed... MB is corrupting the OS...

I had 3 yesterday with same problem... All on Foxcomm boards with SATA and same happened... I had all dif errors coming from nowhere after a fresh install of vista... Then tried Xp but same happened...

Its the mobo... No doubt at all...

7. wildo

wildo Private E-2

yeah, I replaced the mobo yesterday, and am now running flawlessly...

its weird, I've built two pcs, and both had massive motherboard issues in the first two weeks... no other components were messed up...

thanks for the help though, I learned alot from all this troubleshooting...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds