Computer freezes when switching tabs

Discussion in 'Software' started by watchntv, Dec 19, 2010.

1. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I have a new asus 30 with Windows 7 intel CPU @1.3 ghz, 4 g ram
    when I open 7 tabs it will freeze before changing tabs,,sometimes
    I used FF

HOW DO I STOP THIS FROM HAPPPENING?

how do I know if my laptop can take more RAM

would more RAM help anything? I use the laptop(asus) for school, internet, and chess online

thanks[​IMG]

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

There are many models of the 13.3" Asus 30, some are maxed at 4GB, others have an 8GB limit -though maxing the latter may mean ditching the original 4GB - very costly.

I don't think this is a RAM issue, it reads more like Firefox, maybe Flash or other rich content related. What addons and plugins are active in FX?

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I agree with satrow, heck I have 6GB of memory but when FF starts nearing the 500MB mark, you can check that in the processes tab of task manager, then about all I can do is kill the FF process and restart it. See which tab could be the culprit.

4. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

I dont know what you mean by 500MB mark
    when it freezes, I look at the task manager and nothing says not responding
    I wait 30-70 secsonds and it unfreezes, HOW do I stop it from hanging?

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

That means FF is getting near the 500MB RAM usage which you can see in the processes tab. It looks like you probably have a different issue.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

When you go to task manager, note what processes are using the most CPUs. It is probably something updating or checking for an update (av, java, windows).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds