Computer freezes while burning DVDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripseven, Sep 1, 2009.

1. tripseven

tripseven Private First Class

Good Morning,

The computer is a Compaq SR1030NX. I have scanned for viruses etc.. Run all kinds if tests, the latest of which was @PC Pitstops online test. The problems they found were related to the on board graphics(there is an nvidia graphics card installed) and ethernet controller. Drviers for eveything else are up to date.The curious thing is that I can burn a music CD with no problems but everytime I try to burn a DVD, the computer freezes at exactly 2:47( two minutes and forty seven seconds). I use Nero software version 7(came bundled with the DVD burner). I am going to run Everest tonight but I doubt it will shed any new light on the problem. Any suggestions or ideas would be great.

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hey tipseven, try burning a DVD using differnet software than nero, i've had many issues with nero in the past that using other prog's "fixed" :)

3. tripseven

What do you mean by "turning on and off"? Is there software that you would recommend?

Thanks.

4. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Sorry trip, that "have you tried turning it off and back on again" is my sig' [it appears at the bottom of all posts i make] :p

[it's a quote from the TV show "the IT crowd"..... i hink ill edit it to make that a bit clearer as your not the first person to mistake it for part of my post] :)

Edit: try infrarecorder instead of nero..... http://majorgeeks.com/InfraRecorder_d6206.html it is a fine burniong app'

5. tripseven

Thanks for the quick response and the suggestion. As i said earlier, I am going to run Everest tonight and see waht that says. Again, much appreciated.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Dont know what Everest will show as its not a troubleshooting app but more informational on hardware/software installed,

What Windows version and Service Pack are you using? (if vista or above, nero 7 doesnt work 100% with these versions of windows)

I would try what Q mentions in uninstalling Nero fully, running CCleaner to mop up its reminents then running the steps here to remove the upper/lower filters which can cause issues like this, rebooting adn installing the burning app suggested to try.

7. tripseven

Windows XP Home w/SP2. It was suggested that there could be bad voltages from power supply, processor problem etc...So I am trying EVERYTHING under the sun to try and find the source of the problem and correct the problem. It is weird to me that this only occurs when attempting burn a DVD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds