Computer Freezing Online and Offline!

Discussion in 'Software' started by kimb, Jul 30, 2012.

1. kimb

kimb Private E-2

I've been having major problems with my computer freezing while in Normal Mode for about a little while now. Within 5-10 mins my screen locks up, mouse and keyboard are not responsive, ctrl/alt/delete does not work. The only thing that responds is the disc drive can open and close. I need to shut down the computer using the power button to recover.

When I am in Safe Mode with Networking, I have all the time in the world to be online or offline without it freezing up.

I have tried to restore to an earlier point (by pressing F8 and going through the Repair Computer thing) but i get a message that states there are no restore points (which I know I've manually made a few before it started freezing up) and when I try to create a restore point I get a message that says the computer is running in a limited diagnostic state and it wont let me do anything.

I am trying not to restore to the factory setting so any help will be greatly appreciated.

My computer specs:
    version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Basic, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU 585 @ 2.16GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2939 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, 1342 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 143736 MB, Free - 110643 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Disabled

2. kimb

kimb Private E-2

I just wanted to add that I ran "sfc /scannow" and have attached the results. There were corrupt files found but was unable to fix them.

Attached Files:

• CBS.log
      File size:
      340.2 KB
      Views:
  3. spinchien

spinchien Guest

I'm afraid you have to reformat..

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

@spinchien: there is more we can do to help here. Please be constructive.

@kimb: a few questions for you:

1. When did you first notice the problem occurring?

2. Did you make any changes to any computer hardware or were any programs or windows updates installed right before the problem started?

3. What anti-malware products are you using on your computer?

5. kimb

kimb Private E-2

collinsl...to be honest it has been doing this for quite some time that I dont remember what exactly i was doing the first time it froze up. A few months ago, I reset it bc i could not get it to start up. Then about 2 weeks after that, I had to reset it again bc it had a trojan and I could not get anything to remove it. Then, this time, I installed all of the updates that were needed using Windows Update but i cant pin point the exact time that it started freezing up. I am using Microsoft Security Essentials for my anti virus program.

6. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Seeing as you're using MSE which uses the Windows Filtering Platform API, it's possible that your PC freezes due to a IRQL leak. For details see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2664888/en-us
    Not all computers will experience this freeze, in fact most don't, so I can't guarantee that the hotfix will solve your PC problem.
    Just create a system restore point first if you do decide to install the hotfix.

7. kimb

kimb Private E-2

i installed the hotfix and it unzipped folders on my "C" drive but my computer is still freezing in normal mode. :(

Any other ideas?

8. kimb

kimb Private E-2

I replied on 8/1 with no response....somone please help!!!

9. _nullptr

Sorry for the late reply.
    Download the latest version of Autoruns. It doesn't need to be installed, just extract it to its own directory.
    Right click and run as Administrator and when it has completed running go to menu item File, select Save and save the Autoruns.arn log to somewhere convenient. Zip the Autoruns log and attach to your post.

BTW. Running it in safe mode with networking should be fine :)

10. kimb

kimb Private E-2

its ok and thanks for the response but now i think i have done something stupid...:cry...i restored my computer to the manufacture setting. however one out of the two times that i have been able to get it to actually load properly it still froze up. once i get it to load again i will do what you mentioned below.

why would it still be freezing even after i restored it to the manufacture settings? :confused

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Could be a problem with the hardware.

12. kimb

kimb Private E-2

i have attached the file that was requested below.

Also, I want to add that i tried to get online in normal mode earlier and it went to the dreadful blue screen! :(

Attached Files:

13. _nullptr

Are you persistently getting a BSOD when trying to boot normally?
    I'm leaning towards a hardware issue as plodr suggested.

Boot into safe mode then open the Run box (Windows key + R) and enter msconfig then press OK.
    Select the Services tab, put a check in 'Hide all Microsoft services' and then Disable all remaining entries.
    Select the Startup tab and Disable all.

Now try booting as normal. If successful and your PC doesn't freeze, go back into msconfig and starting with the Services tab, re-enable say 3 services at a time and reboot.
    Repeat until you can narrow down what service triggers the PC freeze issue.

Post back with your findings or any questions. :)

14. kimb

kimb Private E-2

The BSOD has only happened once since I reset the computer. However, when it freezes up in normal mode I normally just shut it down and turn it back on....the one time that i didnt shut it down bc i was waiting to see what happened i got the BSOD.

I also done what u said and when i restarted in normal mode it was already froze up. I clicked on start and it didnt do anything. I waited a few mins and clicked again and it still didnt do anything so i tried the internet and again nothing so i shut it down and restarted in safe mode.

I think u and plodr are right with the hardware issue...so is there anything I can try now?

15. Sotsiak

Sotsiak Private E-2

Sorry to intervene here, but if it is really a hardware issue you can do this.
    Remove all the hardware but the basics. (like cpu, ram, screen, keyboard). See if it is still a problem, if not, put one more hardware on until something goes wrong, this way you can find what is faulty.

16. kimb

kimb Private E-2

thanks sotsiak...i will do that but i dont know how to. :( can you give me directions on how to do it please?

17. D.Alejandro

D.Alejandro Private E-2

Hello kimb, Sotsiak made a good suggestion in regards to utilizing the process of elimination
    to determine if you have a hardware problem. Your response to his suggestion was a request
    for help. First thing is to unplug all USB, external devices, headphones,etc. On your post you
    stated you have a TOSHIBA Portable PC. A laptop.Such being the case, remove the battery. At
    times a bad battery can cause problem. Next, remove the CD/DVD drive. For visual aid go to this
    link and watch the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDw26OCE8LI . Once CD/DVD is removed,plug
    in the power cord and boot up your PC. If the problem still persists, it can be a hard drive problem.
    The freezing and blue screen of death can be caused by bad sectors in the hard drive. When windows
    is trying to read data on a bad sector, it can cause the problem you described. If it's a physical
    sector, it can't be repaired, not even by reformatting; but if it's a bad logical sector, then it
    can be repaired with the appropriate software. Someone who knows more about it can help you if
    that is the problem. To determine whether you have bad sectors go to computer, local disk (C:), right
    click on it, select properties,then select tools tab, on the option Error Checking select Check now.
    Another small window will open. Make sure to check: Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
    Then select start. Be forewarned, the scan will take a long time. The greater the data, the longer
    the scan.If there are any bad sectors, then you know it's a problem that needs to be addressed
    but, if there are no bad sectors, then it may be a software or system problem with Windows.

I noticed that in your post your Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Disabled. You should enable it and also use Malwarebytes Anti- Malware which you can download at the following link : http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

18. petermead83

petermead83 Private E-2

Yep, I agree. if you cant work out what the problem is, however frustrating it maybe, it is a case of working out what it isn't so you can narrow down where the problem is.

19. kimb

kimb Private E-2

D.Alejandro...I ran the CHKDSK as you mentioned and below is what it completed before it froze up and I had to shut it down manually.

CHKDSK IS VERIFYING FILES (STAGE 1 OF 5).....
    169856 FILE RECORDS PROCESSED
    FILE VERIFICATION COMPLETED
    516 LARGE FILE RECORDS PROCESSED
    0 BAD FILE RECORDS PROCESSED
    0 EA RECORDS PROCESSED
    60 REPARSE RECORDS PROCESSED
    CHKDSK IS VERIFYING INDEXES (STAGE 2 OF 5)....
    212618 INDEX ENTRIES PROCESSED
    INDEX VERIFICATION COMPLETED
    0 UNINDEXED FILES PROCESSED
    CHKDSK IS VERIFYING SECURITY DESCRIPTORS (STAGE 3 OF 5)....
    169856 SECURITY DESCRIPTORS PROCESSED
    SECURITY DESCRIPTORS VERIFICATION COMPLETED
    21382 DATA FILES PROCESSED
    CHKDSK IS VERIFYING USN JOURNAL....
    34759096 USN BYTES PROCESSED
    USN JOURNAL VERIFICATION COMPLETED
    CHKDSK IS VERIFYING FILE DATA (STAGE 4 OF 5)....
    WINDOWS REPLACED BAD CLUSTERS IN FILE 9946 OF NAME
    \PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\MICROS~2\Scans\MPCACH~1.BIN.
    12 PERCENT COMPLETE (12762 OF 169840 FILES PROCESSED)

I let the computer sit for about 15 mins before I shut it down and it did nothing. When I started it back up I let the program runs a 2nd time and nothing changed except there were 34759448 USN BYTES PROCESSED.

Do you know what would cause the freeze during the scan or what I can do to figure it out?

The Microsoft Security Essentials is only disabled during Safe Mode and it cant be enabled in safe mode. I will download the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware though and use it while in Safe Mode.

Thank You all so much!!

20. kimb

kimb Private E-2

Can someone help me please?? My last reply was on 9/6 and it is now 9/14....I would like to get this aggravating issue fixed if possible.

Thanks

21. _nullptr

It's likely either the Hard Drive or Memory that is failing.

To rule in/out memory being the cause:
    If you have access to another computer then download and burn Memtest86 to a CD or DVD. Use a program like ImgBurn to burn the Memtest iso to disk and make sure to burn it as an image file.

You then need to boot your PC with this disk. If your PC doesn't automatically boot from the disk, then you'll need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD/DVD drive is selected as the first boot device.

Let the test run for 6 - 8 hours. If any errors are logged, then it indicates that the RAM is bad.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds