Computer freezing - Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by phillik1, Oct 20, 2006.

1. phillik1

phillik1 Private E-2

Hello everyone.

I had a nasty virus/malware that the forum helped me get rid of. Now my computer freezes up every now and then - which it never did before.

Is there some sort of diagnostic I can run or any other suggestions?

I'm running Windows XP Pro.

Thanks in advance.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

When does the computer freeze? Does it freeze even during idle?

What are your basic system specs?

What applications are running on startup?

3. phillik1

phillik1 Private E-2

Computer freezes at any time - including idle.

Gateway 450SX4 Laptop with Pentium 4, 256 MB DDR SODIMM, 30GB 4200 Hard Drive,

Start up includes some microsoft software and:
    Java 2
    Trend Micro PCcillin
    Wlan utility
    Windows Defender
    Explorer
    and my start up software for mouse, screen and keyboard.

Is that what you are asking for?

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

How long does it take for the computer to become locked?

Also, have you tried running msconfig and unchecking "load startup items"?

5. phillik1

phillik1 Private E-2

Computer locks up after various times of use - it can be immediately after boot up or after hours and hours of work.

On the msconfig -if you mean using normal startup instead of selective start up - yes, I do that. It was one of the things recommended when I when through the malware removal process. By using the normal - that box is not utilized.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Actually, I meant using selective startup, instead of normal startup, and removing all items on startup.

In addition, if this hasn't been already done, go into msconfig, select the services tab, check the box "Hide Microsoft Services", then click the "disable all" button.

7. phillik1

phillik1 Private E-2

When I do this, will I have to manually start all of my malware protection software each time I boot?

8. phillik1

phillik1 Private E-2

Now I can't get any of my malware protection software to start - even manually. However, my freezing problem seems to be gone. Are these things connected?

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

They could be. If the freezing has stopped, then you have a startup item that is causing conflicts.

I'd recommend starting ONE startup item at a time. Yes, this is tedious, but, it is the best action to do, rebooting after every new check in the box.

BTW, I'd startup all your items, EXCEPT your protection programs. See if this works. Then I'd work with Trend micro. Then defender......

10. phillik1

phillik1 Private E-2

ok - that seems to be working. No freezes yet and both are working. I'll check back if the problem continues. Thanks a bunch.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds