Computer froze and now wont display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by yartank, Nov 23, 2009.

1. yartank

yartank Private E-2

I use Windows XP Pro and havent had any issues like this before. I was playing a game and my computer completely froze on me. Thinking it was just the game, I did a manual reboot and everything worked fine for a few hours until it froze again on the desktop. This time when I did the manual reboot the monitor wouldnt display anything and was acting like it wasnt plugged in. My motherboard has a monitor port and I tried that one with no success. Everything powers up and and all the lights are on. The power supply is a few months old.

2. Layzie Bone

Layzie Bone Private E-2

Sounds like you got board or power supply problems...

I would still swap power supplies, i've seen plenty of cheap and high end hardware fail within only a few months..

reseat memory and cpu.

If your computer has a video card reseat it as well..

3. yartank

yartank Private E-2

I swapped out the video card, monitor, and the CPU and still the same. Would a power supply really die out after a few months? The fans, lights, and hard drive still come on.

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

It possible could have. If you have a multimeter I would check voltages on it.

5. yartank

yartank Private E-2

I swapped out the power supply for a new one and thats not it. Usually when I have mobo problems I dont get power to the fans and such. But everything powers up and the lights are on. I dont have a multimeter :mad

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Swapping the video card probably wouldn't work because the drivers aren't loaded for the "new" card.
    Can you get into the BIOS and enable onboard video?

Another scenario is the onboard chip has gone and so has the video card. If that happens you wouldn't get a display. I don't know how you'd get another card to work before the drivers were loaded. Perhaps you can boot into safe mode, monitor plugged into a new card but since no drivers are loaded, you should see something on the screen.

7. yartank

yartank Private E-2

The onboard jack for a monitor doesnt work either. I cant see anything not even on startup. I tried safe mode as well with no success.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds