Computer froze; performed hard boot and now will not reboot...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 64dragonman, Feb 10, 2009.

1. 64dragonman

64dragonman Private E-2

I have a similiar problem, I have an AMD Sempron 3000 w/ 2 gb of ram 1.8 GHz, and a Geforce 6600 agp video card; running Xp Sp3. Well it froze up during a video and eventually I did a hard reset, now it will not reboot and will go past the Microsoft screen get some blue screen image but I cannot make out what it says...I have reseated my ram, cmos battery, video card while letting it sit overnight. does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it. I really do not want to reformat my hard drive. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

can you boot into safemode? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

then you can go to administrative tools in the control panel, and choose event viewer, and see if there's any errors/events for that time and see what they say.

another option is on the same screen to select safe mode, select last know good configuration.

3. 64dragonman

64dragonman Private E-2

Thank u very much for replying to my question...but to answer you it does not; it just cycles back through to the return to previous configuration page and after choosing an option goes to the Microsoft Xp screen and reboots again. And the copy of xp that I have does not have a repair function on it, but it has a Winternals 99 function but none of the recovery items seem to work. I have also tried to reformat even though i really do not want to lose my data but it states that it is unable to complete the process...? Again thank u for u response.

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

you might want to use the tools for your hard drive, find out what make/model it is and use the manufacturers tools to run some tests...

5. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Do you have a on board(mobo) video if so try that on it (you have to switch the setting in the bios)
    It may just be a bad video driver/card hence the first blue screen while playing videos...

Just a few ideas

6. 64dragonman

64dragonman Private E-2

Hmm...I had to replace a video card about 2 months ago...and for a while after I installed the new one it looked like it was running at 16 bits or lower instead of 32...it does say something about a component not operating properly...thank u for the idea, i discounted that being the cause because it was a new component.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds