Computer got stuck in hibernation shut-down

Discussion in 'Software' started by Phlegmbot, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot Private First Class

I closed my computer to put it into hibernation, but it wouldn't turn off. had to hold the power button for it to shut off (I figured, ah well, I'll lose some info and it'll just reboot). Now, when I try to turn it on again, I have to hit the power button again (opening it doesn't work), and it won't "un-hibernate." I'm stuck on the Toshiba welcome screen.

Thoughts?

Should I try inserting a boot disk into the DVD drive? (Which I may not be able to open as that thing's ALWAYS acted funny.)

THANK YOU!

2. Phlegmbot

I should add the it seems when I hold the power button in to turn the computer back on, it thinks I'm just trying to take it out of hibernation mode. Should I just remove the battery?

3. Phlegmbot

OK, I know I keep replying to my own thread, but here's what a techie friend said:

1. I should specify that I don't mean (in the above) the rechargeable battery but the CMOS battery.

2. He says I should try and let it boot withOUT the HDD, let it give me an error, then I should, in theory, be back at square one. Does that make sense? can I damage anything by not having the HDD in there?

4. Phlegmbot

Update

Remvoed the HDD - whatever the computer's doing is not enough of a boot-up to even be checking for the HDD, so I'm not getting any sort of error message or any opportunity to stop the loop.

I've tried hitting F-keys w/no result.

I looked to remove the CMOS battery, but it is SOLDERED in there!

I'm going to attempt using a boot disk, if I can get the DVD drive open (which doesn't look possible at this point).

Any other ideas??

5. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hi Phlegmbot,

Reboot the laptop into safe mode by repeatedly pressing the F8 key at the very beginning of the boot up process.

once in safe mode, go to start/run and type in...

c:\windows\system32\powercfg.exe /hibernate off

hit enter.

This will delete the hidden hiberfil.sys file located in the root of c:\

Next, reboot to normal mode.

after the desktop loads, power down completely (don't restart) to clear all remaining contents in RAM memory.

next, boot up to normal mode again and then go back to start/run and type in...

c:\windows\system32\powercfg.exe /hibernate on

hit enter.

this will restore a new copy of the hiberfil.sys file.

*The hiberfil.sys file is the file that Windows uses to store/restore a Windows session when Hibernation is invoked.

reboot to verify resolution.

Techsent

6. Phlegmbot

I appreciate this attempt, but, as I tried to explain, there is no real boot-up process. Pressing F keys has no effect (save for a message at bottom that reads, rather than the usual "Press F2 for SETUP..." states "please wait..." but then nothing happens.

I'm hoping, aside from removing the soldered in CMOS battery, that there's another way to make it "forget" it was in hibernation mode.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  7. Phlegmbot

I should clarfiy: it's not actually in a "loop." It's STARTING to boot, then pauses. And nothing happens. So I can't get into any DOS screens, and I tried removing the HD but it's not even checking FOR a HD, so it's not breaking out of this odd pause.

8. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

What is the model number? I'll look to see if I can find a manual that shows the CMOS battery. Are you sure that there is no connector that can be unplugged to remove the battery?

There should be a way to clear CMOS without soldering.

9. Phlegmbot

Heya, sach!

It's the A105 - S2001.

This is the battery (a guy sent me this from his website, also trying to help me out):
    http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/...oshiba-A105-Laptop-Disassembly-Guide-064.html

THANK YOU!

BTW, the guy I mention above suggested I reseat the RAM. I've not removed the RAM chips in QUITE some time, so I'm looking up how to do that. I've got that lid popped, see the ATHEROS chip, a modem chip of some sort, and both RAM chips. My question is, just like when I tried having it boot w/out the HD (in hopes of getting an error message that would kick the thing back into a proper boot-up), can I remove any of these chips and try to boot it up w/out damaging the motherboard or other systems? And, if I do, is there a shot at getting the system to reset?

10. Phlegmbot

UPDATE:

I've tried reseating the RAM. It seems to be in correctly but the computer will not start up AT ALL.

It begins to power on (green light comes on) and before it does anything it shuts down.

It then does this in a loop until I disconnect the power.

The 2 RAM chips wouldn't go back in correctly, so I switched them around but now they're definitely in right and still nothing.

Thoughts?

11. sach2

The current problem would seem to be a RAM not seated correctly problem. Try one module at a time. Removing the RAM and replacing should not permanently alter anything except of course it won't start without the RAM.

On the CMOS I'm thinking that something in the CMOS got scrambled and you are going to have to figure out how to reset it. I think it will be some way of shorting across the battery wires(although it looks from the pic there are no wires) so I'll google around and see it I can find a specific location that would work. [I'm fairly sure the CMOS is scrambled because by removing the HD cable you should have gotten some notification]

I can't look at this for an few hours but I'll definitely check things out with that model number.

12. Phlegmbot

Thx, Sach!

13. sach2

Did you try the RAM one at a time? You would have to be at the point of getting the Toshiba screen but this is your exact model and problem and it was a bad DVD drive causing the problem.

Not saying it will work for you but not too hard to unplug the DVD. The DVD check would come before HD check which would make it applicable.

14. Phlegmbot

Wow, thx, sach -- your'e awesome.

A few things in reply to that:

1. I've popped out the RAM chips and reinserted them and am still having this issue w/the laptop not powering on at all. I've tried one at a time -- trying that with EACH one in EACH slot. No clue what's gone wrong there.
    2. The DVD drive issue completely makes sense -- that thing's not been acting right pretty much for as long as I've had the computer. Toshiba replaced the drive early on b/c they couldn't determine why it was not always reading discs put into it (after that, it worked but would randomly eject if not playing a disc).
    3. If I CAN get it back to the previous 3/4 load state, do I have to open the whole thing up to remove that DVD drive or just remove the one screw on the bottom to slide it out? Any clue?

15. sach2

I'm pretty sure the DVD is one screw and slide out from reading various threads but I haven't hunted down your manual yet. I would leave that for later until you can get it back to the Toshiba logo. The less things you change the easier to backtrack your steps.

On the RAM, was it fairly easy to get to the RAM. You didn't have to disassemble anything else? Just remove the cover and pull the modules? Trying to figure out if anything could have been inadvertently touched in the process.

16. sach2

17. Phlegmbot

Oh I've touched everything at this point. =] But all was fine until the RAM....

The RAM resisted coming out. I found my laptop's manual (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...A105-S2001&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663 -- and if that doesn't work: Toshiba site > product Support > laptops > A105 ) and checked the instructions. I was doing it right, but it was stuck. I had to give one of the socket clips a little nudge w/a screwdriver, but that screwdriver didn't touch the RAM module or the board.

The only other thing I did was pull at the little folded paper on top of the modem chip, b/c I was trying to figure out what that chip was.

18. Phlegmbot

OK,

problem solved: it was indeed the DVD player.

I took the laptop into the repair shop I use and, in half a second, the guy told me the RAM was NOT in fact in correctly. He nudged to the left about 1/16 of an inch and the laptop booted up in that 3/4 boot manner it had been doing.

I had brought the printout of the Web page Sach posted where that other guy had the exact issue. I showed him, he took unscrewed the screw that held in the DVD, we pulled it out, and the thing booted up w/out issue.

Thank you, Sach!!

19. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Awesome sach2!

20. sach2

I was just ready to come back to this thread with a renewed sense of empathy. I spent last night taking apart my digital thermostat (it's been turning itself up to 90 degrees randomly). It's a lot like a mini notebook with the film keyboard cables and tiny connectors. Took me four reassemblies to get the display working right even though each time I was sure everything was back the way I found it. :p

I'm glad everything is up and running. I'm truly suprised that a bad DVD writer can shut down POST altogether. That just seems like bad programming to me. Maybe it happens all the time but I have never experienced it. I was fairly confident from the symptoms it was a corrupted CMOS, luckily, that thread about the DVD just seemed too close to your problem to pass up and a lot safer then trying to clear the CMOS through an internet tweak. I'm going to remind myself to be more careful about jumping to conclusions.

On a side note, it looks like your DVD drive may have a retaining bracket so if you aren't going to replace it right away make sure you don't discard the bracket since you may need it eventually.

21. Phlegmbot

Hey, Sach.

Two things since this issue was resolved:

1. I'm getting the blue screen of death (telling me that it's doing a memory dump) every time the computer comes out of hibernation. Not right away, but usually within a few minutes of coming back into Windows.

2. Firefox keeps crashing. Don't even know how this can be connected to what we did, but it started right after the fix.

Thoughts? And, hey, happy Thanksgiving if you celebrate such pointless American holidays.

22. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

23. Phlegmbot

Heya, zDawg, I'm starting to look at this tutorial, and I'm finding it unclear. Hope you don't mind some questions....

1st, it shows a screenshot of what the page should look like in the My Computer Advanced Settings screen but it is not clear what you should do if the default setting is NOT at Mini Dump. Some tutorials will say "If it shows ____" that's OK for now, leave it. Or, say SPECIFICALLY, "change all your settings so they match this screen." I'm assuming that that's what I'm supposed to do here but would like confirmation.

The 2nd thing that confused me is this: it states I should "Make certain that [my] pagefile still resides on the system partition" -- I've no clue what this means and there's no description that tells me how to even do that.

When I reached that. I stopped. I don't want to make any mistakes dealing w/something like this. If you've got a few moments to clarify these, it'd be much appreciated.

THX!

24. Phlegmbot

I figured it couldn't hurt to DL the debugging software and take a look at what happens as I get it prepped -- I saved the symbols path but then I ran into more confusion:

If you notice, [minidumps] are usually named the date, and then a -*number* to indicate the order of minidumps that day. My example is called Mini061904-01.dmp (it happened today).

Inside of Windbg, go to File, Open Crash Dump and load the file. You will get a message to save base workspace information. Choose no.

My most-recent mini-dump that's present is from several months ago. And there are three of them there. It says above "load the file" but gives no indication on how to choose a file (choose the most-recent?) nor does it tell you what to do if the file isn't from today or even anytime recently as in the example above.

Please advise. THANK YOU!

25. LI_Geek_95

Hi.
    Please attach the most recent.
    Zack

26. Phlegmbot

The most-recent what?...You did not finish your sentence.

Also, i have not created anything to attach w/the debugging software due to the several questions below which remain unanswered. If you cannot answer them please alert someone who is able to.

Thank you again for giving me some of your time.

Pbot

27. LI_Geek_95

EDIT: Nevermind.
    What is the brand and model of your computer?

28. Phlegmbot

Toshiba
    A105 2001

29. LI_Geek_95

30. Phlegmbot

zDawg, please explain why you've changed your mind about the Blue Screen of Death tutorial and why you are recommending these downloads.

I am not certain I understand the tactic. I do not believe I have the Intel Montara GML display adapter on my computer.

And the Intel 10/100 Pro is not something I recognize either.

31. sach2

You haven't replaced the DVDROM, correct? Let's try to rule out a DVD connection.

Check your Device Manager for CD/DVD ROMS. If any exist right-click and delete them.

Also check BIOS and disable the CD/DVD ROM (if it is set to AUTO set to OFF).

32. Phlegmbot

Heya, Sach, a few things:

1. I forgot that to my BIOS on the way into Windows this time, and, considering that it took 4 tries to get, you'd think I'd've remembered to do that. Anyway, each time I tried to get into Windows, I got some kind of error. First, I got two stop errors, both telling me something in Windows Explorer isn't working. Then I got a blue screen on the way IN to Windows on the next restart, which said "the system needed to shut down" and then nothing happened and then I got in. Whew.

2. I see no DVD ROM in my Device Manager...but I'm worried I wouldn't recognize it if it were in there.

3. In spite of my many questions, I ran the Debugger. This last restart created a mini dump file -- the first in months according to the folder. It is attached as two files:
    First, the debugging file
    Second, the information created after clicking analyze -v

4. It seems my page file usage is at 585 MB which seems a bit high. Although I have over a gig of RAM. The Page file Max is set to 1440 MB.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  33. Phlegmbot

IGNORE THE TEXT IN THE BELOW POST; this is my edited version. But the below post has the attachments, this one does NOT.

Heya, Sach, a few things:

1. I forgot that in order to check my BIOS, I need to do that on the way into Windows. Considering that it took 4 tries to get in, you'd think I'd've remembered to do that. Anyway, each time I tried to get into Windows, I got some kind of error. First, I got two stop errors, both telling me something in Windows Explorer isn't working. Then I got a blue screen on the way IN to Windows on the next restart, which said "the system needed to shut down"; another restart gave me my wallpaper and nothing else. And ANOTHER restart got me in which immediately went to the Blue Screen of Death. Another restart got me in. Whew.

1.5 Since Hibernation doesn't really work (coming back in after hibernation creates the Blue Screen), I will shut down tonight and check my BIOS as I boot up in the a.m. I will post the info here. And, btw, yes, the DVD ROM was removed and not replaced (as yet).

2. I see no DVD ROM in my Device Manager...but I'm worried I wouldn't recognize it if it were in there.

3. In spite of my many questions, I ran the Debugger. This last restart created a mini dump file -- the first in months according to the folder. It is attached as two files:
    First, the debugging file
    Second, the information created after clicking analyze -v

4. It seems my page file usage is at 585 MB which seems a bit high. Although I have over a gig of RAM. The Page file Max is set to 1440 MB.

34. Phlegmbot

I just checked to see what it says my RAM is: it says 448, which means one of the two sticks I have is definitely not in right.

I will try to reseat the RAM, but that's what got me into this mess in the first place.

What do I do if I can't get it to reseat correctly? How DO I reseat it correctly? Advice?

35. sach2

Hi again,

On the DVD if it isn't in Device Manager (would be obvious in the list) then it probably isn't in BIOS so no worries. I was just checking because I saw that in one of the BIOS updates it addressed a problem occurring when a DVD drive was removed during hibernation. I think that is probably what originally happened your DVD died/stopped being recognized while the pc was in hibernation and threw things off. I'm not recommending a BIOS update now just letting you know what I was thinking.

I'll read through the minidump and see if I can understand anything useful. If anyone else wants to jump in--Please do so! I'm not familiar with minidumps.

For background before the freeze during POST were you having any problems running Windows?

Maybe running a chkdsk on C: drive would be in order to see if any errors are found. My Computer>right click C:>Properties>Tools tab>Check for errors>Tick both boxes and it will ask to Check next time Windows boots. Say yes and either restart or let it run in the morning.

On the memory other than lining up the notch try inserting at an angle like this pic. I wonder if one is actually loose or if it is bad? Are both side retaining clips in the notches on each module?

36. sach2

Actually are you sure 512mb memory isn't what you actually have total? I haven't gotten any specs that say what density each module should have but the specs for an a105 are 512mb so unless you added one you may have two 256mb modules.

Edit: this looks like you have two 256mb modules which would be reduced to 448mb because of shared video.

Since you had so much trouble before with replacing the memory run an Everest report and it will tell you exactly what type of memory module is in each slot.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  37. Phlegmbot

Thx for explaining the BIOS thing. Much appreciated.

I actually posted my minidump on GeekstoGo...it was b/c of that that I was recommended to check my RAM sticks. Rather than doing that, I just checked to see how much RAM my computer said it had installed...and it's about half what it should read.

In the morning, I will try again to get those in right. Not sure why they're giving me so much trouble suddenly. Once I give them another shot, I will attempt to boot up (and I've scheduled the chkdsk).

THX!!!

38. Phlegmbot

I'm positive. Normally, I've over a Gig of RAM.

39. sach2

Good night :)

edit: OK

40. Phlegmbot

Shut down and, since I couldn't sleep (unrelated to the computer issues), I decided to try the computer. I opened the door for the RAM, removed it, and remembered a rule a techie at my old company told me: you don't have to be as gentle as you think you have to be. So I shoved the RAM in a bit harder and felt it connect.

The RAM now correctly reads at 960mb. Everything seems to be ducky. That is, that's what was behind my Blue Screen of Death.

THX!!

41. sach2

Great!

That makes much more sense. Removing a DVD drive should not cause instability of the OS.

I had actually written a post earlier about how I thought "Do not force modules" should read something like "Brace yourself against the wall, lean forward putting all your weight into your thumbs, take a deep breath and push will all your might until you hear a click" but thought better of it. I know it is true of many PCs but not sure about laptops. I've only had one and it was not that bad.

Hmmm, I hope your local computer shop's help was a freebie. At least on the memory installation. :p

Good Luck!

42. Phlegmbot

It was indeed a freebie!...and the one they put in was indeed in correctly. The other one, which looked correct, was still not in right...and that was completely my fault.

Enjoyed your description of placing RAM in -- you should write a manual.

Have a good rest of your year, and thank you again for all the help!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds