Computer hanging on start up

Discussion in 'Software' started by webbhost, Jan 1, 2012.

1. webbhost

webbhost Private E-2

Hi all, Okay so when I log in, start menu appears, desktop background appears... If I'm real quick, I can press CTRL ALT DELETE and get task manager up, but I cant see anything suspicious in there?

After about 5-10 minutes, it seems to come back to life and everything returns normal and working... any applications that I'd tried opening 5 minutes ago finally open?

I have a HJT log underneath, hopefully someone can help me figure this one out?

P.S. Im running windows XP, I have tried doing a windows repair (reinstalls windows but leaves programs in tact), and re-run all windows updates. I have also used malware bytes to look for any mallicious software, anything that was found was removed.

Additionally, I have the following in administrative tools > event viewer > system

- The Computer Browser service hung on starting.
    - The System Event Notification service hung on starting
    - The System Restore Service service hung on starting.
    - The Distributed Link Tracking Client service hung on starting.
    - The Windows Time service hung on starting.
    - The System Event Notification service terminated with the following error:
    The specified module could not be found.
    - The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service hung on starting.

Then after, this every few seconds or so I have:

The server {D3938AB0-5B9D-11D1-8DD2-00AA004ABD5E} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

If you need any extra info to help determeine whats causing all the services to hang (and assumingly this is whats causing the 5-10 minute delay of my computer doing sweet FA) let me know, Thanks.

HJT LOG:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 16:57:02, on 01/01/2012
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
    Boot mode: Normal

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2012
  2. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Hey webbhost, welcome to MG's. :)

First of MG's is not a HJT analyzing forum. I see LauraR (moderator) was about to edit out your log- but let it be, so here are my two cents. Please be informed, I'm not a qualified HJT analyzer. I have a few questions though.

From your log I see Windows Update running or notifying. I thought you mentioned you were up to date.
    Windows Security Center seems to be notifying. What does it say from your system tray?
    Did you have Command Prompt running while HJT was scanning?! It is listed. If not initiated by you, then that's worrying!
    Plus instances of Internet Explorer and Indexer! Amongst others which look fine.

Do you use this "Consumer Input Update", not something I'd want on my system altough MBAM and a lot of scanners don't flag it.

You mentioned:
    I have also used malware bytes to look for any mallicious software, anything that was found was removed.
    But you don't seem to have a functioning antivirus?!!

I'd head over to:-
    The Read & Run.
    Start an new thread in Malware Removal and attach the logs requested.

Cheers..

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  3. webbhost

webbhost Private E-2

Hi, I think I have fixed the problem since posting, not sure exactly what it is I did that fixed, but it might have been something to do with combofix.

In response to your questions below, No I dont have a antivirus running... I just tend to fix problems as they come up.. I like a challenge lol, but to be honest I don't tend to go on any dodgy sites or download illegal music / movies so 99% of time im fine, I can go 2-3 years without any major problems at a time.

Windows was totally upto date, other than 1 update which was with regards to my drivers for wireless mouse... I fixed that since but it was nothing to do with security etc.

Which file am I looking at for "Indexer"? ie would have been fine, I often have multiple open. Also if I remember right, I did NOT open CMD myself, but the problem again has since disappeared... not sure what all that was about.

So anyway that answers your questions lol, even tho problem seems to be fixed now. (Also I should mention Boot.ini was loading a different kernal which really did not help lmao). but if I get any more problems, I'll post in malware and take a read of sticky's before I post.

Thanks for the reply regardless.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds