Computer hangs/freezes in "windows is shutting down"

Discussion in 'Software' started by dandla, Nov 25, 2010.

1. dandla

dandla Private E-2

Aloha,
    I drive a WXPPro SP3 machine for video editing. Its part of a home network and the other machines on the network are 2 PC;s, a HP Printer and a Netgear 4TB NAS.
    On shutdown the power down hangs/freezes in "windows is shutting down":(
    I'm getting the following message repeatedly and after reading much in this forum have concluded that this might be the source of my problem.:-o
    RAID sync finished on volume C. The volume is now fully redundant.
    What action should I take to clear the message and hopefully rid the shutdown freeze.:confused
    Many thanks for your help...don

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Hi Don.
    Your post started on another thread - one of mine.
    The problem I found was with my onboard video (or so it seems). Perhaps you should try another video card, as one option.

3. dandla

dandla Private E-2

aloha GCWesq,
    The video card in this machine is NVIDIA GeForce4 7800 GT. I'm unsure, but I thought this video card had sufficient power to do any video project I could throw at it. If I don't have another video card available how can I check yur theory out???
    sorry so long for reply...
    don

4. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Hi don.
    Two possibilities I can think of:
    If you have integrated video, with a card added on top, take out the card and try the onboard.
    or
    Borrow one of the cards from one of your other PCs, if they have cards, and try that instead.

5. dandla

dandla Private E-2

aloha GC,
    Thanks for the tip...I'll try it and post my result
    many thx...don

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds