Computer hangs right after clicking in User

Discussion in 'Software' started by newbieputerbuf, Oct 14, 2010.

1. newbieputerbuf

newbieputerbuf Private E-2

Have a laptop with Vista installed. Was a little slow when Microsoft bar comes up at bottom of screen during boot-up, but now computer hangs after clicking on User. Have been able to get up in Safe Mode, but not in normal.

I get a error window that pops up and it reads:

Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog.
    Failure - Security Options

Any suggestions where to even start? Have run a Degrag utility and have run Malware Bytes, and Super AntiSpywarem after running Cache Cleaner.

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

The profile may be corrupt - try the steps listed here.

3. newbieputerbuf

Thanks for the profile recommendation, but tried it and it still hangs. Sat at the Weelcome with cicle spinng then went to a screen that had a little window up in left corner saying something about Personal Settings and then it just hung.

4. newbieputerbuf

Update - ran sfc /scannow and then it reached 82%, it stopped running and put up this message:

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

Does that help narrow down the problem I may be having?

Thanks

5. Caliban

Try booting to Safe Mode, click Start > Run, type 'taskschd.msc' (sans quotes), click 'enter' and disable everything there. See if your symptoms change - if so, then try to find the culprit.
    You can also follow the same sequence with 'msconfig', click the 'Startups' tab, and disable all (this is not the proper way to disable startups, but will work fine for troubleshooting).

6. Caliban

Also - what antivirus program are you running, and have you recently switched from one AV program to another?

7. newbieputerbuf

I don't see the Run while in safe mode, so I went to the DOS screen and ran you recommendation. It comes up and tells me that is can't be run in Safe Mode.

On the anti-virus, I have McAfee and have had it since the computer was new.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. newbieputerbuf

Services.msc was already set to manual. Still having issue.

Any other thoughts out there?

10. Caliban

Quick questions: why are you 'clicking on User'? Is 'User' an administrative account?

11. Caliban

And, I don't understand why you can't use the 'Run' command - is it not showing in the Start Menu? If not, right click the taskbar, choose Properties, Start Menu, Customize and scroll down and put a check mark in 'Run'.
    The command should be available in both Normal and Safe modes.
    If the 'Run' command is showing, however, and nothing happens, then we've got something else going on.

12. newbieputerbuf

Now with that, I can get the Run window - but it still tells me that the taskschd.msc does not run in Safe Mode.

13. Caliban

Ok - task scheduler might not run in safe mode - my bad. Just glad you've got a Run command. ;)

Back to the 'user' question: when you boot up, are you presented with a choice of accounts?

14. newbieputerbuf

Yes - I originally had two accounts, and did add a new profile, and that has the same issue. The new profile does have Admin level privs.

I did run sfc /verifyonly - and it did find some problems. I've got a log file that is 6.8 MB, but I have no idea what is all means. It looks like sfc /scannow will only run if I'm logged in normally.

15. newbieputerbuf

One more thing - I'm trying to experiment with turning off services, hoping maybe one of them is fragged, and if I find the one I can fix it. Which service needs to be enabled, in order to be able to log in to one of the User Accounts? I turned off several of the services, and then I can't log in. I type on the User Ison and nothing happens.

16. plodr

17. newbieputerbuf

Thanks for the services link. What I was hoping to di is find out what is causing my issue. I can consistently boot up in Safe Mode, so had assumed (and we all know what that can get ya) that one of the services is causing the issue.

18. plodr

This worked for one person

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds