Computer is not detecting motherboard video adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tripseven, Jan 17, 2010.

1. tripseven

tripseven Private First Class

The computer is not detecting the video adapter on the motherboard. It detects the ATI Radeon card. I ran Belarc Advisor and it shows the same thing. The system is a PowerSpec 6002. I will give more details if necessary.
    Thanks for any ideas.

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I'll take a guess that the ATI Radeon is installed in a PCI or AGP slot on the main board? Are you trying to run both video adapters at the same time?

On all main boards that I am aware of, the installation of an addon video adapter will automatically disable the onboard adapter.

3. tripseven

Yes, the ATI card is installed in an AGP slot. It should still show up in device manager as disabled should it not? I checked device manager in two other computers that have add on graphics cards and the onboard is there, just disabled. ????

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Many older 'boards required that the RAM be installed in a specific (usually closest to CPU) slot before the onboard would use any memory and thus become active.

5. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Which do you want the computer to use: onboard video or the video card? Which one is your monitor connected to now?

If you have a video card installed on the motherboard, "MOST" of the time the motherboard detects a card is installed and auto disables the onboard video. So if your monitor is connected to the video card, Windows won't see any onboard video in the device manager because it's not there, it's been disabled by the motherboard BIOS.

If you want to use the onbaord video and you're currently using a video card, boot into the motherboard's BIOS (F2, Delete, Esc are some of the keys you press when the computer first powers up) find where the setting to select which graphics to use is and set it to onboard. Then power off the computer, remove the video card, hook the monitor to the onboard connector and reboot the computer.

You may not have to do the above. You could just remove the video card, hook the monitor up to the onboard and boot up. If you don't get any video on the monitor use the procedure above. Again most of the time motherboards will auto-detect which to use. But some require you to manually set it in the BIOS.

Sam

6. tripseven

Thanks all for the input. I am doing some expermenting with a computer that is attached to a large screen HD monitor. Thanks again for the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds