Computer just shutting off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Asuscrap, May 18, 2011.

1. Asuscrap

Asuscrap Private E-2

My computer shuts off after about 5 min of playing Witcher 2. I updated all drivers and have heat monitors for my cpu and they never get above 70. I also turned off Anti Aliasing but nothing seems to work. The computer gives no warning just shuts off. I have a laptop its a http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G73Jh/#specifications with the i7. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Hello and welcome to MajorGeeks,
    Just a quick thought. What's the make and model of your system and what version of Windows and Service Pack are you running?
    Could it possibly be the thermal paste(or something else getting to warm). Now I know you stated that you have heat monitors but I have seen them be way wrong before.

3. Asuscrap

Asuscrap Private E-2

The link I gave is to the computer I have. I havnt updated windows since i got it but I have 7 on there so im not sure if it did it automaticly. If I checked the serial number would it be possible Asus has certain model numbers that are having a problem with the paste? The computer is about 10 months old but I have never really done any serious gaming on it. Just got it for school and I played Starcraft 2 for about 3 weeks. Never had any problems like this before.

Thank for the quick response,
    Adam

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Out of curiosity, do you have any minidumps, located in: c:\windows\minidump

Also, I've read, that most computers will have trouble with this game. I've played a little bit, but so far, it hasn't crashed.

5. Asuscrap

Asuscrap Private E-2

Ya ive had 5 mini dumps the last one was in Dec though. What do they mean sorry I'm not really computer savy. I also just read on yahoo answers that someone with my exact same laptop is having the same problem...

6. Spock96

oops my bad:-o
    I didn't see the hyperlink LOL

7. Asuscrap

Asuscrap Private E-2

So i installed new drivers and this time it ran for about 10 min longer before shutting off. Then when I tried to turn it on it wouldnt turn on right away I had to wait like 2 min.

Any idea's what that would mean?

It sucked because it was just long enough for me to think that it was going to work fine...

8. Captianchaoz

Captianchaoz Private E-2

Take battery out, unplug powerpack then hold power button for one minute and a few seconds. That will reconfigure hardware. Now go in safemode, f8. then uninstall the video drivers, and download the latest. Remove any remnants of the drivers, Ati, nvidia, or else. Install latest, also try a memtest on the memory stick/s, or try one at a time. This will help, bad memory can mess things up. Try the memory first, then the power button. Sorry, good luck

9. Spock96

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds