computer keeps rebooting? lsass.exe??

Discussion in 'Software' started by kiamari, Apr 23, 2010.

1. kiamari

kiamari Private E-2

every time i turn on computer, after the windows logo the message :::lsass.exe system error object name not found::: appears.

i can only do two things..1. click the OK button...or 2. click the X on the dial box....once i click OK or the X.....the computer reboots and the same message appears again.

i have tried logging in with safe mode...safe mode networking....last known good config...debugging.......and still the same message appears and it reboots. i can not get past this to do anything....it only reboots.

i have some important files on my comp (esp. ms word 2003 that i do not have the cd/product key) that i really cant afford to lose.

my comp is a DELL...and i do not have the recovery cd. (which i dont want to recover because it will wipe all files added after first purchase off)

is there a way to fix this without losing my files?
    do i have a virus?

helpppppp!!!

:::for all who reply::: i am posting to this site from my laptop.

2. kiamari

kiamari Private E-2

forgot to add that my OS is WinXP home

3. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I have moved your thread to software:

When you are back up and running again properly then you can run through the malware removal procedures.

4. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

5. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

kiamari,Welcome to MG's:)
    Googled the error. What service pack are you on? SP2 had a patch for the Sasser worm. If your PC is updated then a repair install of XP should do.
    You will need to borrow etc a XP Home CD. If the repair works - back up all your important file to an external HD/pen drive just incase!!
    If you cannot get the XP CD, use an Ubuntu live CD. This will at least retrieve your important files. After backing up all essential files, you can get and run the recovery CD from Dell. Here's a link to walk you through Ubuntu.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Cheers..

6. kiamari

kiamari Private E-2

hi sikvik

it is sp2

7. GringoCowboy

GringoCowboy Private E-2

also, do you have mcafee installed? their recent update causes terminal reboots too. there's a fix if you do have it...

8. kiamari

kiamari Private E-2

hi,

no i discovered the problem last weekend just before the mcafee update issue

9. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Hi kiamari, have you tried to get your hands on a XP home CD for the repair install? Did you try the Ubuntu Live CD to retrieve your important MS Word files? Use your laptop to get the Live CD.
    Cheers..

10. kiamari

kiamari Private E-2

hi

no to both questions. no one has the xp software unless i purchase it...and i tried to download the live cd...after 2 n a half hours it said my laptop did not have enough ram...its a very large file

11. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

A few things you can try:

If you cannot boot in any mode ( safe or normal mode ) there is not much we can do for you except suggest what is in the below quote box

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds