Computer keeps restarting at different times

Discussion in 'Software' started by didibus, Jun 2, 2004.

1. didibus

didibus Private E-2

I came accross the weirdest problem. My computer keeps on restarting. I never know when it's gonna happen, but most of the time it's between 5 and 10 minutes after I started it. Also, everytime I start it, it boots, but it take like 30 to 40 seconds before the bios inizialises itself and the comp start, once the comp start, it restart from 2 to 5 time before windows start booting to finally start. Then after an X number of minute of utilisation it then restarts again from when you wait 30 seconds before the Bios iniitialises. I have to mention that sometimes it do not initialises the Bios at all, I have to manually restart my comp multiple time before it manages to initialise the Bios. A part from this very very annoying problem, when I do manage to start windows, everything works normally.

Please HELP ME!!

I have a custum made computer.
    Pentium 4 2ghz
    2X512 sdram
    Ati Radeon 9600 128mb
    1 80gig Maxtor HD
    1 120gig WesternDigital HD
    1 HelwettPackards CD burner
    1 floppydisk
    Sound Blaster Audigy Platiinum internal.
    ECS EliteGroup Asus P4 motherboard.

THX

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Tough to diagnose. Are you up to date on Windows Update and virus protection? Blaster, Sasser, etc, like to reboot computers.

The delay in boot sounds like trouble identifying your drives. Verify auto detect and make sure the drives are set, not constant auto. If the first thought does not pan out, there is the possibility of a drive dying, do some scans on them with the included tools to be sure the hard drives are 100%.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Is this 2k or Xp?

Turn off auto restart.

Right Click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery Settings, under system failure section, uncheck automatically restart.

4. didibus

didibus Private E-2

Wow, it's really weird. I unpluged all my HDs and all my CD drives, basically I unplugged all my drives except my Floppy Drive and still when I start the comp the Bios do not initialize. And there is this strange red light that light up on my motherboard.

What's going on with my comp ?

5. didibus

didibus Private E-2

Ok, I found out the light just tells me that the power is turned on. But I started my comp, and the cpu fan had trouble turning. It made a strange noise, and did not really managed to turn, I waited like 5 seconds, the fan didn't manage to do a complete turn, and I closed my comp.

6. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I was going to say, it sounded like an overheating issue. You may have a damaged CPU now, but you can replace the HSF first and see if it still works.

7. didibus

didibus Private E-2

BTW THX for the replies.

I still believe the red light indicates that the power supply is on. That's what I understood from my motherboard's manual. It's just there so you don't change something in you're comp while the power is on. I believe this is true because the LED light up even when my comp is off, but only my power supply is on.

I think my problem is either a damaged CPU FAN or a damaged Power Supply. Why? Because my CPU FAN does a strange noise, and sometime when I power up my comp the Fan turns so slowly, it takes a minute to do a complete turn. So my restarts problem may have been caused by my CPU overheating. Either it's cause the Fan is not fully operational or because my PowerSupply is damaged and do not give enought juice to even power my fan, wich could still have caused CPU overheating. I just recently added the 120 gig HD and the ATI Radeon 9600 128mb, this could have caused a boost in power consomption wich my power supply may not be able to handle.

What's you're toughts?

Oh, and, what's an HSF

THX

8. acejones

acejones A Different Title

HSF=Heatsink/Fan

9. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Plug your specs in here to see if your power supply is up to the task. And replace that CPU fan.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds