computer keeps turning off - windows xp

Discussion in 'Software' started by conniehurt, Jul 26, 2010.

1. conniehurt

conniehurt Private E-2

I have windows xp. Here in the past week, when I try to do anything in itunes or playing games on game websites, it will turn off. Not sure why it is all of a sudden doing this.

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

This is often related to overheating. Is this a tower? Been cleaned lately? Take the side off, turn on, fans run?

While there, with power OFF, try reseating the RAM cards and all other connection you can find.

3. conniehurt

conniehurt Private E-2

It is a tower and no, it hasn't been cleaned lately. What is the best way to clean it without damaging anything?

4. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Great question.

Turn it off, unplug it, push the power button several times to discharge the caps.

Wait 30 minutes, open.

The best is to use the special compressed air cans you can find in any electronics shop. Else, use a soft paint brush, and very tenderly remove all the dust, top down. Not at all diffucult to do, just put the tower on some newspapers, it'll be a mess.

A good practice is to perform the cleaning with one hand and the other hand lays on the cabinet, just to prevent any voltage differential.

By the way, this procedure is probably overkill when it comes to caution. But better to be cautious.

Then, attempt to wiggle together, reseat any connections you can access.

And, are the fans running??

5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

6. conniehurt

conniehurt Private E-2

Thanks for the information. I will try doing that. Also, my fan is running fine and the tower isn't hot at all.

7. nuu_bee

nuu_bee Private E-2

What is your power supply wattage? It might be that PSU doesn't supply enough power to the system.

8. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Let's clean the computer first and report back, the first answer was your best bet.

9. conniehurt

conniehurt Private E-2

Cleaned dust out of computer and made sure everything was hooked up. There was one cord that wasn't hooked into anything, but it never has been hooked into anything as far as I can remember. It has a white end on it and P7 printed on the side. I left it unhooked until I ran it through someone who knew what it was and if it was supposed to be this way. Thanks for all of the suggestions. So far, the computer hasn't shut down at all today.

10. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Amazing what some housekeeping will do! :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds