computer lock up at first keystroke

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BKWill, Aug 21, 2006.

1. BKWill

BKWill Private E-2

Hello

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 that is having a serious problem. . .
    at the first keystroke in windows the computer completely freezes up, both
    mouse and keyboard become completely unresponsive. the num lock key
    doesnt cycle when I press the button, I've been able to enter BIOS and the keyboard works fine inside it, but not in windows. ive uninstalled the old keyboard drivers and re-installed them, but still nothing works. the system
    manager says that there is a corrupted file in registry, so I went to the regedit and tracked down my keyboard paths, found a file "kbdclass" which i replaced off of dells website. i have limited access to text with the character map, but its very annoying. Also i tested the computer with two other keyboards using the traditional keyboard cable, and also one with a usb jack, but all keyboards have the same problem. Strangely enough the web browsing buttons on the keyboard with the USB connection work, but with any traditional keystroke the computer will crash
    please help!

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds