Computer lose power after a few seconds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spirittoo, Jul 10, 2012.

1. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

:waveWorking on a friend's computer ... it won't boot in fact the fans (cpu system) shuts down after a few seconds. When I first powered it up there was no problem ... but when I shut it down and tried booting it up again nothing ... just the fans spinning for a few seconds then nothing. I tried replacing the psu ... same thing ... tried replacing the battery ... no difference. :cry

This ia a HP pavilion p6310f AMD Althon II x4 630 6G ram Win 7 home edition. I'm having a hard time believing it's the mobo because it ran ok at first start up.

Any ideas what is going on?:confused

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Did you check all of your wires some thing is lose it sounds try to make sure the mob screws are tight.

3. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

:wave Yep checked all the wires ... I'm wondering if the tower power switch is the problem ... anyone know how I can disconnect the power switch and use another means to power up the computer?:confused

4. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

:waveOkay I found the leads to the power switch ... it is hook up to the front panel on the mobo, but there is no markings other than the front panel that tells me where the power switch pins are located ... this is the website with the specs, but there is nothing about the pins for the front panel ... also what bothers me is the computer will boot up after sitting over night or for a few hours .. what makes it boot up after sitting for a while? I tried redoing the heat sink for the cpu ... nothing.?:confused

5. Goldenskull

Try Reseting The Cmos Battery.

Turn off the power switch to the power supply.

Then unplug the PSU

Then take out the quarter Sized Battery for a Hour.

Then Replace Replace the Battery After an hour.

Then Plug in the Power cord then Switch on the PSU.

Then try to turn it on then.

6. Goldenskull

Look in the lower Left Corner of the CPU there should be a 4 pin white connecter for your main power connector.

7. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Well sir ... I was given this link to a website that showed me which pins were for the power switch ... I was able to short the pin with a screwdriver and got the same results. I reset the CMOS with no change. I disconnected everything and I got the same response as when everything was hooked up. Now the computer has no boot up so far today ... I was hoping to test the cpu, but if it continues not to respond I would think it is the mobo.

I did some checking and the mobo the HP put out for this machine is no longer available so a mobo will have to be found that can run the cpu.:wave

8. Goldenskull

Sounds to me that the Computer is Toast.

Sucks for your friend.

9. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

I'm afraid I must agree,:( if pc3 memory is the same as ddr3 the mobo in my sig should be able to run his cpu and memory ... do you agree? Of course I will have to do a fresh install of the OS:cry:wave

10. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Well sir ... after the third day of not getting the machine to boot up I had no choice but to say it is indeed the mobo ... I installed the mobo I have listed in my sig and it works:-D ... even the os is running ... I thought I would have to do a fresh install, but if it runs ok I won't do a fresh install.

So as far as the computer shutting down after a few second ... mark this part problem solved ... hopefully there will be no problems with drivers or the OS.

I will post back if anything else comes up.:wave

11. spirittoo

spirittoo Sergeant

Question ... the OS is running fine without doing a clean install ... I should install the drives for the new mobo correct?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds