Computer Loses Disk Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nittany73, Jan 13, 2009.

1. nittany73

nittany73 Private E-2

My Dell 8600 with WinXP SP3 loses track of its disk drives, both internal and external. Sometimes it forgets it has internal DVD reader, internal CDRW, external USB/Firewire 10GB, external WD 320GB USB, external USB connection to my wife's Nextar portable photo frame (which is supposed to act like a disk drive). I also have a USB connection to an APC power supply backup, which it usually doesn't detect either. Fortunately, it usually can see my WD 230GB USB (connected to a computer USB port), since that is my main "home" data storage. The WD320 and APC and HP scanner are connected via a USB 2.0 hub. The photo frame was connected directly to a USB on the front of the machine.

What is also frustrating is that it doesn't always lose the same devices. Sometimes even the internal disks are "lost" until I reboot, at which time it's likely to lose something else. The internal drives came with the unit, untouched. I also have a Pinnacle Studio 8 card, which I have tried to use due its firewire port. As with the USB, sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Any ideas?
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
    :confused

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds