Computer maintenance gone bad - please help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Carden Works, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Carden Works

Carden Works Private E-2

I did some computer maintenance and now I have a situation. Here’s what I did:
    In Windows XP, click Start > My Computer. Right-click the hard drive (C) and click Properties. Select the Tools tab. Click Check Now. Select options to do as thorough a check as possible.

So far so good. Before I did the next step (defrag), I thought I would take a peek in my Recycle Bin (intuition?). But instead of seeing what was in there, I received an error message:
    Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.

I copied all of the information about the data this error report contains (can copy it here if it would help).

I shut down my computer and then turned it back on again. No change. Still no working Recycle Bin.

I then tried to do a System Restore. Couldn't do that either. Message: Your computer cannot be restored to [date] system checkpoint. Tried an earlier checkpoint with the same result.

So, because ntdll.dll was in the error report, I went to dll-files.com and downloaded that file (zipped). I unzipped it. But I didn't know what to do next, so I did a search on my hard drive for ntdll.dll and the result was several (about 10) files.

I think I should copy the downloaded and unzipped ntdll.dll file to C:\Windows\System 32 but I'm not sure. There is already a file by that name there. It is 692 KB if that helps.

So not only do I not know what I should do next, at this point it seems to me that there are many ways that I could be off track. Way off track.

I will also say that the software that I am using this week seems to be working fine (MS Word, printer, Adobe Acrobat and Illustrator, Dreamweaver, a few more). But I know that I have a problem and am resisting the temptation to bury my head in the sand.

In addition to my requesting your help, I'm also asking that you please keep in mind that I am not at all knowledgable about this important stuff.
    Thanks, all.
    Sandra Carden
    Carden Works, LLC

2. PhilliePhan

PhilliePhan Guest

Hi Sandra,

This is really not my area of expertise, but it would definitely be a good idea to post the complete error report and all pertinent details as to the problem you are having so that potential responders have a better idea of where to start!

Best luck :)
    PP

3. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

The error messages that you have received and saved would be very helpful as PP stated. By the way he is being humble, he got mad Windows skills but likes to play the humble master if you know what I mean? ;)

Anyhow, I have a few questions and comments to toss your way until your next post:

Assuming you only had one partition (drive C), the ScanDisk (error-checking) would have prompted that the operation would have to run upon next boot (YES-NO). Is that what happened indeed? And did you try to open up Recycle Bin after the Scandisk operation completed and Windows XP completed the boot process?

After all this things you had done, have you checked to see if you still got the error message upon opening Recycle Bin? Also, does the Recycle Bin icon states that its full or empty? Instead of opening it can you right-click on it and choose 'Empty Recycle Bin' option?

What error message was this one? Is that the one you have saved up, if not can you provide the details on this message as well?

How many copies of that files should there be? IT entirely depends on the system, minimum is 1 which is:
    X:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll

possibly another copy actively kept in:
    X:\Windows\System32\dllcache\ntdll.dll

Possibly a lot more if X:\Windows\Service Pack Files\... and X:\Windows\Software Distribution\... folders exist.

Also if you copied the i386 folder from the XP CD to your HardDisk (to prevent inserting the XP CD everything it required the disk for certain HW installations and system process such as running the sfc command prompt repair utility which you might also try) then you would have 2 more locations:
    X:\i386\ntdll.dll and X:\i386\System32\ntdll.dll

The original size of this file should be 668,672 bytes (669Kb) however the copy in the System32 folder could be more or less depending again on the system, installed components, drivers, etc.

You do not need to download this file as you could extract a copy of it from the Windows XP CD using the Recovery Console. This can't be done while the system is running as it would be in use! Which fearfully bring me to my next and final comment:
    Since this file can not be deleted or modified by users under normal circumstances, my guess is one of the 2 possibilities:
    The File was corrupted due to
    1) A system process or utility incorrectly modified the file
    2) Bad sectors occured via physical HD wear n tear or ScanDisk Thorough process misidentified and marked it wrongfully so (not very likely though).
    3) Virus infection.

for #1 Recovery Console or even running the sfc /scannow command in the command prompt window might help.

for #2 can't do much but I don't believe that is the case unless the disk is old but you would have other symptoms to support that theory.

for #3, I pass the puck back to PhilliePhan.

Also I would recommend you download CCleaner, M$ RegClean and/or RegScrubXP freebies from MG's download section to run on your system...

Hopefully you would re-post providing the error messages and also answer my questions as well which would help the experts to find a solution for you, like PP this is not my area either but just wanted to put in my $0.02 :)

4. Carden Works

Carden Works Private E-2

Hello again,
    Thanks for your replies. (Glad to get the inside scoop about PP.)

To answer your questions:
    >Assuming you only had one partition (drive C),

SC: Correct assumption

>the ScanDisk (error-checking)

SC: Is this the same as Check disk? I ask because in the past, I have run Scan Disk / Disk Cleanup; this was the first time I did it from My Computer / Properties / Tools...

>would have prompted that the operation would have to run upon next boot (YES-NO). Is that what happened indeed?

SC: If this is is what was prompted, then this is what I did.

>And did you try to open up Recycle Bin after the Scandisk operation completed and Windows XP completed the boot process?

SC: Yes.

>After all this things you had done, have you checked to see if you still got the error message upon opening Recycle Bin?

SC: Yes, I tried again just now. Still errors.

>Also, does the Recycle Bin icon states that its full or empty?

SC: Neither. The error message appears before I can access any information about the Recycle Bin.

>Instead of opening it can you right-click on it and choose 'Empty Recycle Bin' option?

SC: Yes, I could do that. Would that be a good idea?

>What error message was this one? Is that the one you have saved up, if not can you provide the details on this message as well?

SC: I will include the error information after these questions.

> (SC: several paragraphcs copied here) How many copies of that files should there be? IT entirely depends on the system, minimum is 1 which is:
    X:\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll

possibly another copy actively kept in:
    X:\Windows\System32\dllcache\ntdll.dll

Possibly a lot more if X:\Windows\Service Pack Files\... and X:\Windows\Software Distribution\... folders exist.

Also if you copied the i386 folder from the XP CD to your HardDisk (to prevent inserting the XP CD everything it required the disk for certain HW installations and system process such as running the sfc command prompt repair utility which you might also try) then you would have 2 more locations:
    X:\i386\ntdll.dll and X:\i386\System32\ntdll.dll

The original size of this file should be 668,672 bytes (669Kb) however the copy in the System32 folder could be more or less depending again on the system, installed components, drivers, etc.

SC: Do you mean that I should check these various places for this file? I will if I should.

>You do not need to download this file as you could extract a copy of it from the Windows XP CD using the Recovery Console. This can't be done while the system is running as it would be in use! Which fearfully bring me to my next and final comment:
    Since this file can not be deleted or modified by users under normal circumstances, my guess is one of the 2 possibilities:
    The File was corrupted due to
    1) A system process or utility incorrectly modified the file
    2) Bad sectors occured via physical HD wear n tear or ScanDisk Thorough process misidentified and marked it wrongfully so (not very likely though).
    3) Virus infection.

>for #1 Recovery Console or even running the sfc /scannow command in the command prompt window might help.

SC: Would this be what I should first? If yes, I would appreciate more detailed instructions. I don't know what Recovery Console, sfc / scannow command mean or how to do them.

>for #2 can't do much but I don't believe that is the case unless the disk is old but you would have other symptoms to support that theory.

SC: Well,l the problem did occur immediately after I ran the Check Disk. Hmmm.

>for #3, I pass the puck back to PhilliePhan.

SC: While this is possible, I doubt it. I keep things pretty clean and am very careful.

>Also I would recommend you download CCleaner, M$ RegClean and/or RegScrubXP freebies from MG's download section to run on your system...

SC: I have RegScrubXP and have used it. I didn't run it after this problem, because I am overwhelmed.

>Hopefully you would re-post providing the error messages and also answer my questions as well which would help the experts to find a solution for you, like PP this is not my area either but just wanted to put in my $0.02 :)[/QUOTE]

SC: Okay, the error information. (Typing this because I didn't see a way to copy/paste. Ugh.)

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    To see what data this error report contains, click here:
    Error Signature
    AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: ntdll.dll
    ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00011430

To view technical information about the error report, click here.
    Exception Information:
    Code: 0xc0000005 Flags: 0x00000000
    Record: 0x0000000000000000 Address: 0x00000000c911430
    [Lots more information. Lots.]
    The following files will be included in this error report:
    C:\DOCUME~1\Sandra\LOCALS~1\Temp\2688_appcompat.txt

[Interestingly, I cannot find this file. I even used the XP Search function and searched by the file name and even by *.txt and looked at all of the .txt files.]

This morning, I tried again to open the Recycle Bin. (Some things fix themselves, and I am an optimistic person.) Result:
    Explorer.exe - Application Error
    The instruction at "0x7c910c27" referenced memory at "0x030b5805". The memory could not be "read".
    Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on CANCEL to debug the program.
    [I chose CANCEL.]
    Underneath that window was the following:
    Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    Debug Close
    [I chose Debug. I then restarted the computer.]

Tried again to open the Recycle Bin. Result:
    To see what data this error report contains, click here:
    Error Signature
    AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: aiicon.dll
    ModVer: 11.0.0.0 Offset: 0000537d
    To view technical information about your process will be reported:
    Module 1
    Explorer. EXE
    Image Base: 0x01000000 ImageSize: 0x00000000
    Checksum: 0x00108809 Time Stamp: 0x41107ece
    Version Information
    Signature: feef04bd
    StrucVer: 00010000
    FileVer: (6.0:2900.2180)
    ProdVer: (6.0:2900.2180)
    FlagMask: 0000003f
    Flags: 00000000
    FileType: 00000001
    SubType: 00000000
    FileDate: 00000000:00000000

What follows that is:
    Modules up to #95
    Threads 1 to 16
    Memory Range 1 to 34
    Entire Contents

(You can't possibly need me to type all of that information, can you? I mean, I will if that's what it takes, but my arms are already about to fall off. LOL)

The following files will be included in this error report:
    C:\DOCUME~1\Sandra\LOCALS~1\Temp\c922.appcompat.txt

(I searched for this file but could not find it.)

So that's what I can tell you. I'm ready to take the next step. I cannot believe that people really type out these error messages like I did; there must be a better way.

Thanks again for your willingness to help. And do let me know if you have any questions about knitting. Now there I could help!

Sandra Carden
    Carden Works, LLC

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Try to repair or replace your Recycle Bin with THIS (Direct Download) registry file.

Download it to your desktop, double-click and O.K to accept and restart.

Also, try disk cleanup to remove any cache files. (Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools)

If that doesn't solve your problems, try System File Checker.

Go to Start, Run and type in sfc /scannow

You will need your Windows CD if it needs to replace any files.

As a footnote, if you searced for some files and can't find them it's because you don't have show hidden files enabled.

Open Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, and enable Show hidden files and folders.

As far as typing out the information, just copy and paste it next time.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Why not try to view the recycle bin in Safe Mode?

If it works there, then the recycle bin is fine.

I'd try that first before any major steps.

7. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Hello Again,
    I will not comment on your answer to my questions because I had dozen of things popping in my head and I didn't want to lose any hair before getting a HijackThis log of your system from you.

So please download HijackThis and make sure you run it from a new folder (you could name it HJT) you create in the 'Program Files' subfolder.

So the executable's path should be something like this:

C:\Program Files\HJT\HijackThis.exe

Afterwards, close all instances of any Internet browser you are using, also close all unnecessary appliation you have running as well.

Then run the executable (HijackThis.exe). From the program menu choose the 'Do a system scan and save a log file' option. After the scan is complete it would also open and display the log file via Notepad. Click on File then Save, this would save the log file within the Hijack this folder like this:
    C:\Program Files\HJT\HijackThis.log

Then attach that log file along with your next post, ok? I would like to see it.

You could also try what Adrynalyne suggested though this wouldn't accomplish much nor help understand the problem. I would hold off on what Insomniac suggested for now. I prefer you choose the instruction of one person and work with that person until it is fixed or that person gives up...trying multipled things at once could create multiple headaches on top of the existing one.
    PS. right-clicking on the Recycle Bin and choosing the 'empty Recycle Bin' option is nothing bad and by all means do try it and see what happens.
    CheckDisk is another utility included with XP as well but it checks for errors, does not corrrects them. ScanDisk (error-checking) option you use by right-clicking on a Drive then Properties > Tools > 'Check Now..' is the way to go.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Carden Works,

I apologize if my previous post was unclear. The reason I asked for you to try Safe Mode is because 3rd party software, and most drivers, do not load there. If it works, you then know its not a registry or file related problem. After all, registry and file damage is all the time, regardless of which mode of Windows you are in. Msconfig is very useful in troubleshooting problems or conflicts with the OS and 3rd party apps. You can use this article to learn more about clean booting.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310353
    There is also the possibility of it being a browser extnesion or plug in. Unknown to some, browser helper objects (BHO's) affect not only Internet Explorer, but Windows Explorer too, due to their tight integration. In that case, you can go to Internet Options, advanced, and under the browsing section, uncheck "enable third party browser extensions(requires restart)".

If that works, then I would follow the above poster's advice after going through thorough spyware check. Please check our spyware forum for advice on what to run.

This all assumes, that Safe Mode was tried, and that Safe Mode was found to work fine.

9. Carden Works

Carden Works Private E-2

Hi all,
    Hundreds of thanks for all who helped me. And especially to the person who directed me to:
    DO NOT POST UNTIL YOU HAVE READ THIS: How to: Spyware, Trojan And Virus Removal
    http://forum.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

I followed every step in those instructions with the following results:
    Step 1 showed no problem.

Step 2: Cleaning complete (47,293 secs) 489.7 MB removed.

Step 3: Ad-Aware identified "2 New Critical Objects." Details:
    Vendor: Tracking cookie;
    Type: IE Cache;
    Category: Data Miner;
    Object: C:\Documents and Settings \ Sandra \ Cookies \ sandra@overstock[1].txt and C:\Documents and Settings \ Sandra \ Cookies \ sandra@bravenet[2].txt

Spybot identified: Problem: Viewpoint 1 entries
    Fix selected problem [did].

Step 4:
    Kill2me at first indicated that nothing was infected. Check anyway? [Yes] The Look2me infection is about to be removed.
    About:buster: Scans 1 and 2: No ADS found on system.
    HS Remove: 8 items removed.

Whew!
    I restarted my computer (again) and my Recycle Bin is again working. Yea! And not that that is working, I feel like all is well.

I do have to go and turn on the System Restore.

For anyone who is still reading this, what conclusions can be made about my computer; I am referring to how to prevent the problem from occurring again.

Thanks again, all.
    Sandra
    Carden Works

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I had a feeling it was spyware (note the BHO comment above).
    As for conclusions to be made about your computer, just be careful.

Some others may have better advice than I, but what I have done and works for me:

Switch to another browser. I use K-Meleon, however, I reccomend Firefox.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2236

Locate your hosts file in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and right click, and choose properties. Set it as read only.

Do not use P2P file sharing apps like Kazaa, and the many similar programs out there.

make certain you have ALL critical Windows updates, and install them as they come out.

Make certain you have a good antivirus. Avast is free and does a great job, but isn't the most user friendly:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1968

If/when you see popups, don't click on the "yes", or "no", or "cancel"

Click the "x" in the top right hand corner.

Get spyware blaster:
    http://majorgeeks.com/download2859.html

Get the latest version of ad aware, and scan your system every few weeks or so, when you scan for viruses. Remember to update the definitions before each scan:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html

Along with a good dose of smart web surfing, you should not see these issues again.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds