Computer making strange double sound.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Beseech, May 2, 2013.

1. Beseech

Beseech Private E-2

Thanks for the guidance you've given me, AtlBo. It is very much appreciated. :)

I think that this thread is almost over. I just wanted to ask a couple of things in hindsight.

I'm not just asking AtlBo; I'm sending this as an open question to whoever wishes to help me:

I'm still not well-versed in what Process Lasso, GBoost, JetBoost, CleanMem are all about. I don't even know exactly what they do, or what I can expect out of them. I will be doing some research on these programs; are there some good websites which can teach me all about them?

You said that I can experiment with different settings on these programs to see what I discover. But I'm completely lost as to understand what all the settings are. If I make changes to any of them, I don't even know how to identify what the changes I experience are. (You can see that I've never even heard of these programs before you introduced them to me. lol)

In short, I want to know all about these programs; have a deep understanding of them (because they seem like they have broad potential), and how to use them to their full capacities.

So if anyone has information they can give me, including good web-tutorials, etc., please inform me. :)

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

3. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

4. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes...that's the one. Thanks NT. It's on my list now that I see it runs on XP...

Beseech...GBoost is fairly simple. You notice you don't see many Windows services, etc. that can be shut down...just programs that you installed mostly (a few OS features like themes or whatever). That's a nice feature of GBoost. You really can't go wrong. Just set it how it works for you best with your set up. Anyway, I am convinced that GBoost would give you the same benefit almost with all the settings set to "No". It's just a powerful restrainer that lowers processor use of native Windows processes (doesn't shut them down) and puts the focus on what your are doing with the mouse and keyboard or game pad, etc.

JetBoost is more complicated. You can shut down almost the entire Windows program with JetBoost. Personally, I stay away from shutting down Windows services, so I stay committed to that. But, as you have it set up, you can do some research (links later) and experiment one at a time if you like. However, just like GBoost, JetBoost does restrain even with no processes selected. Also, Process Lasso is a full blown restrainer, although much more complicated than the other two (and configurable). The JB restrain has the effect of smoothing certain things I have noticed. I am getting a noticably better focus on the mouse, even with programs open. That's with what equates to nothing selected to shut down. JB also delivers on things like window drags and scrolls.

Process Lasso is the most complicated. You have the most important parts of PL set up already. This is great. It means over time you can explore all of the options of the free version. The pay version more or less requires a Phd in logic analysis. If you want to tweak your numbers in ProBalance settings, I would stick with number 5. This tells PL how long to contiue a restraint process if one is called for. You can tweak the other numbers there, but I think you are probably very close on them. Once you like them, then you can adjust with the number 5.

More Information
    No need to push things. The setup you have will deliver for you. However, there is alot to know about PL. Here are some links to help with this. The forum is great as the developer is very active and answers questions himself. He goes by "Support".

Process Lasso Forum
    http://bitsum.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

About ProBalance
    http://bitsum.com/about_probalance.php

Not much to know on the other programs. They are fairly popular with gamers, but there's not alot of testing theory about them. CleanMem doesn't have many settings...just the time and add processes to "Ignore List" and then "run on boot". Fairly simple stuff.

PL is the hub for the benefits you will get from experimenting with the programs of your set up as it is. It delivers messages to Windows and somehow convinces it to work faster. The other two do too but passively. PL is in there telling Windows what to do not waiting for Windows to make up its mind so to speak...

JetBoost video
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=256066

GBoost video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2udndztVJUs&hd=1

CleanMem video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLn7qvQ76XQ&hd=1

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds