Computer Memory - Need Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Higara7, May 22, 2006.

1. Higara7

Higara7 Private E-2

I am buying some additional computer memory for my family's computer, and I need to know exactly what I'll be allowed to get it. I checked the memory already in there, and got something like this:

HYS64T32000HU-3 7-A 256 MB 1R x 16 PC2 42000 -444

OK, I want to get another 256, but I need to know if how many pins something has matter? If something has less pins, would it not work?? Could I get away with getting DDR PC 3200 ? Or would I have to get PC 4200 ??

Thanks and I hope somebody can help me out ;) This computer has everything onboard so you can imagine I need more ram badly. :eek:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Always keep the memory the exact same .... your mobo manual will tell you what options you may have as to ram .... but match what you have, or replace both or all stick with the same.

3. Higara7

Higara7 Private E-2

So if the number of pins is off, either by more or less than my current, it won't work? I don't have any manuals so I'm kinda wingin it right now.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I'm not finding that exact description in my searches, so while you have it off, pull the ram that's in there and take it with you to the store ...get the exact same thing. You could also post your system info so we could search for the specs on your make and model for you.

5. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Welcome :)

Go here: http://majorgeeks.com/CPU-Z_d425.html

and download the program CPU-Z. When you download it, you don't have to install it, just run it. It will take a second to load and then click on the SPD tab. In the box that is labeled Module Size and the box labeled Max Bandwidth, tell us what it says. I've indicated the Module Size and the Max Bandwith boxes in green.

There is a drop-down menu (indicated in blue in my picture) in the top left (still under the SPD tab) that will say Slot #1. If there is more than one slot, select it in the drop-down menu and tell us the Module Size and Max Bandwith of each slot that it has available. For example, mine has two slots. Slot #1 and Slot #2. Yours may have more or less than 2. Just be sure to look at them all :) If there is a slot that is grayed out in the drop down menu, tell us that as well.

Hope this helps. Check out the picture I attached and then report back to us what the program tells you.

Cody

Attached Files:

6. Higara7

Higara7 Private E-2

Slot #1 DDR2 Size: 256MB, Max Bandwith: PC4300 (266MHz) , Manufacture: Infeneon, Part Number: 64T32000HU3.7A Serial Number: 0105D811 , SPD timings table : Frequency: 200Mhz, 266Mhz, 266Mhz Ok that may have been more info than you needed. Mobo model: Grafito, Chipset: i915P/i915G , Manufacture: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Bios Version: 3.04 Ok now since this will be from online buying, and since I am also pressed for time as I will be moving from my family in less than a week, I'll need to know what I can get away with as far as Ram. What would the minimum be that I coud get away with buying? Having a 256MB size?

7. Higara7

Higara7 Private E-2

With the information I provided above this post, would I be getting something like a 184 Pin ? Or more like 200 Pin ? Would PC333 work?

8. askantik

askantik Sergeant

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85002-20

The link I posted looks like what you need. If you want to be 100% sure (I'm only 99.9% sure right now) then see if you can find the model of your computer and I can look up the model for you. To do this, go to Start > Right-click on My Computer > and click on the General tab. It should say some stuff about your CPU, RAM, and something about Asus.

That should be what you need, but feel free to take that extra measure if you want. That is $47 and has free shipping. You can upgrade the shipping if you want to make sure it gets there faster.

Hope this helps,
    Cody

9. Higara7

Higara7 Private E-2

Ok I know what I need to get thanks

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Hey Cody mines greyed out and all it gives is Slot and Module Size can I get the rest of the info activated:confused: :confused: :confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds