Computer monitor keeps shutting off!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xhayatox, Jun 25, 2012.

1. xhayatox

xhayatox Private First Class

I have a Dell S2230MX HD Monitor that I purchased around three months ago. I've never encountered a single problem with it till today. All day my monitor has been turning itself off and I just don't know what is going on. I checked all the component cables and wires, and they are all securely plugged in without a problem. I just don't understand. Can somebody please provide me some input on how to make this stop?

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

3. xhayatox

Um, I downloaded the software but I'm not really sure how to use it or what I should be doing.. Please explain?

4. Goldenskull

Ok install speccy

Then let it load up it might take a min or 2

Then when its done loading save the file.

Here is how to save it.

In the top left go to file.
    Then Save as text file.Save the text file to like m documents or some thing.
    Then add the text documents to MG attachment's.

This program will give you info on the computer that helps us help you.

There is a look a like little paper clip at the top of the posting.in advance options.

Attached Files:

5. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

Is the monitor shutting off or going to sleep? Do you wake the computer or do you have to press a button on the monitor to get it back?

If you're just waking the monitor then you'll need to change the power settings in the computer. If the monitor itself shuts down completely then it may still be computer related, but it's also a possibility that your monitor is having issues, possibly overheating.

6. xhayatox

Okay, great. Here you go! :)

Attached Files:

7. xhayatox

It shuts off and I have to press the button to turn it back on. Not only that, the monitor keeps flipping through menu's on it's own. My monitor has 3 buttons on it. One of the buttons is for color settings. So as I sit here, the monitor starts flipping through the color settings on it's own and my screen starts flashing different colors and it turns off again. It's so weird. It's as if my computer is possessed by a demon. I don't know why this is happening.

8. Goldenskull

Well it seems that your CPU is running a little hot.48°C = 118.4°F
    Your Mother board seems fine 40°C = 104°F
    Your HDD's look fine 25°C = 77°F

Is your CPU Overclocked.

I am guessing you have a on board video card.It is possible that the on board video card could be failing try adding a cheap video card to check.

But i would all so start bye checking to see if you have any virus and malware as well.

Do you know how old this computer is.

On Board video tend to go bad faster then the PCI slot video card.

And is this a Dell model bye the way.

Your MOB says Dell. INC

9. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

It sounds like you have a bad monitor. Either contact Dell or see about returning it from where you bought it. The fact that the monitor cycles menus sounds like a short in the monitor rather than anything from within the computer itself.

10. Goldenskull

All so could be a BAD monitor too

And you do have your set to off so its not that issue.
    Turn Off Monitor after: (On AC Power) Never
    Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On AC Power) Never

If you have a spare monitor or a friend that does try to hook up another monitor too check.

11. Goldenskull

And if you got a laptop that has a connection for Video monitors try hooking up the monitor too the laptop to see if it does it with the laptop.

12. xhayatox

Thanks for the help. This monitor is fairly brand new. I purchased it a little under six months ago. I've never encountered a single problem with it before so this is incredibly strange and I don't know what's up with it. I have never dropped it, or stepped on the cords,etc. It just started acting like this out of nowhere. But here is the question. Could my monitor be acting like this as a result of a virus? Can that be linked together at all? Cause I remember installing some software the same day my monitor started acting up like this and maybe that's why it's doing this..

13. Goldenskull

14. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

No, a virus can not make your monitor shut down completely or access your monitors internal menus. That's not to say that you're virus free, but I would really suspect something like dust bunnies overheating the monitor or an inadvertent menu got changed within the monitor itself. Possibly a faulty cable or even low voltage, or voltage spikes if your monitor isn't on the same surge protector as your computer itself. But a virus it's likely not.

15. Goldenskull

You never no bud There are virus's out there that can do some crazy shit.

16. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Perhaps a button on the monitor is stuck?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds