computer only starts in safe mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by coandc, Dec 20, 2010.

1. coandc

coandc Private E-2

I know that this has been fairly common problem but not quite to this extent I feel. About a month ago my computer started shutting itself down when it was booting in normal mode, I just restarted it a few times and eventually it would start up. I figured my power supply was beginning to go out. About a week ago the internet shut itself down in normal mode (I don't know if that’s unrelated or not). Yesterday the computer stopped working in normal mode altogether but works just fine in safe mode. I've tried system restore and replacing the power supply, as well a virus check with my mcafee program. Deleted drivers etc. I cannot figure out what to do. Any ideas on how to fix this would be much appreciated.

2. holiday

holiday Private E-2

Check your boot options, you computer might be set to boot into safemode automatically through an option in msconfig. Although system restore should reset that, at least one would think that it would. Have you ran a system file check yet?

3. coandc

coandc Private E-2

Thanks for the quick reply, although yes I did do all those things. I'm completely sumped over this.

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

It would help to know what Windows version and Service Pack you're running.

Have you completed a chkdsk? If not, in safe mode, start a Command Prompt (in Windows Vista or Windows 7, type cmd in the Start Menu's search area, right click and choose "run as Administrator") and type "chkdsk /r" without the quotes (the space is important), and press Enter. It will tell you that it can't perform the check while Windows is running, blah blah blah, so let it restart to complete the check. Depending on your hard drive's size and amount of data, this could take some time.

This would be one of the first steps I would use in troubleshooting your situation.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  5. coandc

coandc Private E-2

Yeah sorry, I have windows XP, service pack 3. And yes I did a chkdsk first thing this morning.

6. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Okay, and to confirm, you HAVE done a
    Code:
    sfc /scannow
    to verify that all system files are intact?

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

wired or wireless? If wired, check your modem/router; these pieces of hardware do die. If wireless, the chip might be shutting off. (heat again the culprit?)

As far as the computer shutting down, it could be heat related. In safe mode, not all the drivers load so I suspect things might not be heating up as much.

Have you opened the computer up, cleaned out the dust and made sure, with the side cover off that all the fans are spinning all the time? A dying fan can also cause a computer to shut down.

8. coandc

coandc Private E-2

Yeah I checked the internals yesterday, cleaned out the dust, I have five fans and all are working properly, the fan on the video card is working as well. I'm completely stumped on what could be wrong. I started with a virus check, then chkdsk, sfc /scannow, I tried to go back to the settings from about a month ago and got no change, and I checked bios. Nothing seemed to make any changes.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds