Computer only starts in safe mode!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BeautifulWickedness, Oct 9, 2011.

1. BeautifulWickedness

BeautifulWickedness Private E-2

Hello all,

Can anyone help? I had a power failure in my house, upon turning the computer on - i have a AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+ 2.20GHz, 32 bit operating system with Windows 7 Ultimate - it came up with 'SIGNAL OVER RANGE!'.
    I followed instructions to re-start in Safe Mode, and went into Device Manager and uninstalled Display Adaptor.
    I have no idea if this fixed the first problem of Signal Over Range, and can now only access my computer in Safe Mode - even when clicking F8 and starting Windows normally, it automatically reverts to Safe Mode.

Can i reinstall the video driver? Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

When you are in safe mode, reset the display, through the control panel. Set the dimensions lower. I assume it is an LCD so the refresh rate will not have any effect; refresh is for CRT displays.

Since you did not mention the brand and model of computer, we have no idea if you are using a desktop, laptop or netbook. So we have no idea what video you have.

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

First, welcome to the forum.

Next, do you have this plugged into a surge strip, that warranties your equipment?

Did you also uninstall any graphics software in the programs list? Do you have a graphics card? Is this a laptop, or a desktop?

Lastly, do you have the W7 DVD?

As a last resort, you may have to do a "repair", which will leave your files in a folder called "windows.old", and you would have to update, and install your apps/games. Not the favorite option...

4. BeautifulWickedness

Thank you :)

Apologies, im not the greatest with computers and wasnt sure what to write?!

I have a desktop Compaq Presario (was Windows XP, but i installed Windows 7 some months ago). My computer goes back to about 2005!!!

As far as i know, i didnt uninstall anything else?! However i did go to Device Manager and view hidden devices, that was all. As for a graphics card, i have slots at the front of the base, but i believe these to be empty :S

Ahhh and no i do not have the DVD for Windows 7...

5. the mekanic

So, this is an SR series Compaq, with W7 installed, yes?

How did you install W7?

6. BeautifulWickedness

I couldnt confirm the series number, had a look and cant see it, but yes a Compaq Media Centre Edition 2005.

My friend had W7 on a disc, uninstalled the XP version for me (i had a virus) and installed W7.

7. the mekanic

Did you try plodr's solution?

8. BeautifulWickedness

Yes, after going into Control Panel, Display, im at the smallest setting and resolution of 800 x 600.

Sorry, is it impossible to fix?

9. the mekanic

Very few things are "impossible".

Do you have access to the W7 DVD?

With the disc, you can attempt a "Startup Repair".

It may do the trick.

10. BeautifulWickedness

Thank you, i will try that :)

11. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Are you certain you are in safe mode? Does it say safe mode in all four corners of the screen? If it doesn't then you are in normal mode but it looks like safe mode because you don't have a graphics driver installed.

We would really need the model number of the computer off the tag on the back to help you find the correct driver.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds