Computer only starts in safe mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pat123, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat123

pat123 Private E-2

I bought a gateway MS -2285 last year. Now i can only start my computer in safe mode. When i click on the option windoe start normally , it just gives me a blank screen.

I have tried to do system restore but it did not correct the problem. I really do not understand computers so please be patient if i have a lot of questions .

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What color is the blank screen: white, gray, black or blue?

In safe mode, video drivers do not load so it could be the wrong video driver is loading and you might see a white or gray screen.

What version of windows are you running. We might be able to roll back the driver and get a display.

3. pat123

pat123 Private E-2

The screen is black. It is windows 7.

4. plodr

Click on Programs then Control Panel then Device Manager.
    Click the triangle in front of Display Adapters to expand this. Right click the name of your video card/chop and select Properties.
    Click on the 2nd tab in the box, Driver. Click on the box that says "Roll Back Driver" and click OK. Then see if a normal boot up gives you a display.

If it does, go into your updates check when the video driver was updated and right click it and select hide update so it will not be downloaded and installed again.

5. pat123

pat123 Private E-2

Thanks so much !! . The computer started but it gave me a blue screen and i could not see the error, now it seems to work.

what exactly did you mean by- Basically how do i got update checks

If it does, go into your updates check when the video driver was updated and right click it and select hide update so it will not be downloaded and installed again.

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

subscribed

7. pat123

pat123 Private E-2

I started the computer again this morning and again it is doing the same thing. But now it is trying to load windows and i get a grey screen .

It did apply 4 updates when i shutdown , i went in the safe mode and deleted those updates but it did not help.

8. plodr

Does it start in safe mode or do you get a blue screen?
    If it starts in safe mode okay, restore it back to the time yesterday when you rolled back the video driver and see if it starts again in normal mode.

You need to turn off automatic updating because MS will continue to push the possibly bad update to you and you'll have this problem.

To turn automatic updates off: Open Control Panel and select Windows Update. In the left pane, select Change Settings. Under Important Updates change from Install updates automatically (recommended) to Check for updates but let me choose whether to install them. Uncheck the next item: Recommended updates. Make sure that Who can install updates Allow all users to install updates on this computer is checked. Click okay.

Before I install any updates, I usually google the kb number to see if a particular update is causing problems. If it is, I choose not to install it. Since I do not have recommended updates selected (2nd item in the update box), I don't know if MS is pushing hardware drivers to you. I got burned by installing MS recommended drivers twice so I never install MS drivers. I go to the page of the computer manufacturer, put in my model and see if there are newer drivers but only if I'm having a problem. If no problem, I tend not to update hardware drivers.

9. Z16Antigua

Z16Antigua Private E-2

I am having a similiar problem to what this person had.
    My computer all of a sudden does'nt log in normally
    When it is logging in it freezes has it says " Welcome"
    How do i get it to stop doing this?
    Its a Toshiba Satellite L505
    tHANKs in Advance

10. plodr

Z16Antigua, welcome to MajorGeeks.

You need to start a new thread. Since your problem is probably software, not hardware, go here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
    click the New Thread button near the top left. In addition to the brand and model, you need to post what version of Windows you are running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds