Computer only starts in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by Scorctales, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Scorctales

Scorctales Private E-2

2 days ago my HP Pavillion dv-6 laptop got a blue screen. it flashed for a second and then my computer restarted. when it restarted, it started back in safe mode. i restarted it again and chose the "start windows normally" option. most of the threads i have seen say that they get a black screen, but mine will just boot up in safe mode. i restart it and click start normally and it boots in safe mode again. i have tried to take it back to a previous good configuration and that just started my computer in safe mode again. i tried to restore it and it started it in safe mode again. i tried rolling back the video driver (saw someone say on here that it could help) and that didnt do anything. i tried resetting the defaults on the bios and it didnt do anything.
    on a different note, i have done the hard disk and memory tests on the bios page and i passed all of them. i dont use my laptop much for myself, but i do still need it for school so this is deffinatly a problem i need to be fixed as soon as someone has any ideas i haven't tried. im going to school for IT and have asked my teacher and he is stumped just like i am. the reason im saying this is so that you know i have been looking for a solution. any ideas would be helpful.
    im running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit with 4 GB ram and a 560 GB hard drive. if that helps at all.:)

2. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to go to the "Search Programs and Files" on the Start Menu and type in MSCONFIG and hit return. On the window that appears, select the Boot tab and make sure under Boot Options the Safe Boot box is NOT checked. Problem is I am not 100% sure you can run the config console in Safe Mode

If you haven't already, you can also try another restore point from a command prompt. Boot the computer into "Safe Mode with Command Prompt." At the C: prompt type RSTRUI.EXE and hit return. Wait for the Restore module to start (it can take a while), then select another restore point from before the problem started. I've had this work when System restore through windows had failed . . . even when it failed in the GUI version of Safe Mode.

3. Scorctales

Scorctales Private E-2

Thanks. I just saw your reply. My brother did the msconfig about an hour ago and fixed it. I got a bug that switched it to run only in safe mode. Thank you so much

4. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Glad you got it squared away :) And thank you for posting back.

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings and pardon the interruption.

Great tip Spad - haven't seen that one for a while. Thanks.

6. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I always suggest it as a last ditch effort to get system restore to work when it fails through windows. I've had, and been advised that others have had, good luck with it. It can cure a lot of ills.

I've only seen once instance of a computer getting stuck in the "Start in Safe Mode" setting . . . I don't recall if we ever figured out what caused it, but I don't think it was malware related in that incident.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds