computer opens only home page

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pamg72, Jun 26, 2012.

1. pamg72

pamg72 Private E-2

Hello! I hope you can help me! I wasn't sure where to put this question. My pc will only open my home page, which is Google. It gives me the message "ie cannot open page" when trying to open any other site. I've tried to open sites from my favorites, by typing in the address, etc. I have run all my scans, checked w internet provider (Hughes net), which is fine. I have ie8 and an old dell dimension e310. Windows xp. Help? Thanks so much!!

2. pamg72

pamg72 Private E-2

Forgot to mention that I ran a anti-root scan too,nothing was found. Thanks.

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Is your computer connected to the Modem could have come unpluged.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

If the modem was unplugged, he could not reach Google. But he is so the modem works.

The most common cause of IE problems is conflicting or corrupt add-ons. To run without add-ons, click on the Start Button and Choose All Programs > Accessories > System Tools, click on Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) and see how that works. Alternatively, I recommend you reset Internet Explorer. From within IE, click on Tools > Internet options > Advanced, then click "Reset..." to take IE back to its default settings with no add-ons.

Also, while I am NOT recommending you switch to an alternative browser, I generally keep Chrome or FireFox on all my systems for testing sites that don't work in IE. If I cannot view a page in IE, I will try with another browser to see if the problem is with the site, my system, or IE. It is usually the site.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try this first
    Open IE then click on Tools tab > Internet Options > Advanced > Click Reset...
    Restart IE.

6. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Already suggested, but it reiterates the suggestion.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds