Computer powers on and off repeatedly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pariah, Jan 7, 2015.

1. pariah

pariah Private E-2

Heya. I just bought a brand new computer. The parts are as follows:

-Asus Z97 Deluxe M/B
    -Intel i7-4790K (LGA1150) Processor
    -Corsair DDR3 RAM (2 X 8)
    -CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready
    -Radeon HD 6450 GPU

After having hooked everything up, I tested the power. It turned on for about one second with the Q Code reading "13" before turning off. Then it turned back on for a second and turned back off again. And this cycle continues ad nauseum if I leave the power hooked up.

I have tried removing both RAM sticks one at a time with with the same result. I have removed the GPU with the same result. I unhooked the SATA HDDs (2) with the same result. I used a substitute PSU with the same result. I even removed the LED panel switches in sequence with the same result.

When I remove the eight pin power cable from the board before turning it on, it stops stuttering, but the Q code is at "00" and the only thing that's seemingly working the CPU fan.

I have not tried any paper clip tests.

I'm not sure how to proceed. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I take it you built this yourself?

• I would check the 12v CPU connector is firmly plugged in.
    • I know its a new PC but take out the motherboard battery for 10mins and clean it, then if you can push it back in but use a very thin cloth so that you dont get too much finger grease on the battery.
    • Make sure you didn't over tighten the motherboard mounting screws close to the ram.
    • Only have one stick of RAM in Slot 1 (just to test booting the PC)
    • Double check all connectors again, even unplug and replug back in to make sure they are in firmly.

The power up and press DEL to enter the BIOS right away, check date and time etc, don't go near any overclocking settings at this time until you have a working PC, then if you can get the PC to stay on and I'd imagine you have no OS on it yet, then if the screen states no boot drive found for say 10mins then your likely ok to then install your OS.

3. pariah

pariah Private E-2

Yup. That was it.

Thanks. I'm not sure I would have caught that if I just kept taking it out and putting in repeatedly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds