Computer randomly searching for floppy

Discussion in 'Software' started by MikeR, Apr 4, 2003.

1. MikeR

MikeR Private E-2

o/s win 98

My computer randomly goes into a series of short clack a clacks. I assume it's search for a floppy disc. Here is the advice annoyances.org gives;

Double-click on the System icon in Control panel, choose the Device Manager tab, and delete the GENERIC FLOPPY DISK entry (found under Disk drives). When Windows restarts, it'll re-detect the drive and the problem should go away.

The problem with this answer is that their are two generic floppy disks listed under Disk Drives, one says GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE 47 and the other says GENERIC NEC floppy disk .Question is which one should I remove? And if I do remove one am I taking a chance on disabling my floppy disk drive for good?

2. Geli

Geli Private E-2

If I am remembering right, the generic IDE 47 drive is your harddrive. do not delete that one

3. SwatShark

SwatShark Captain Cuffs

You can wait for confirmation on this from someone else before doing this if you wish, but your IDE disk is the hard drive, meaning the c: The NEC floppy drive is the a:

Windows should detect it on reboot if removed from the system using the instructions above. If not you can add the device so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

4. MikeR

MikeR Private E-2

YIKES! :eek:

ummm let's see do I cut the red wire or the white wire?

5. MikeR

MikeR Private E-2

How would I add the device?

6. MikeR

MikeR Private E-2

so swatshark I should try removing the NEC drive?

7. SwatShark

SwatShark Captain Cuffs

You can add it in the device manager, or you can choose 'add new hardware' from the control panel.

8. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

,ost av programs only search for disks in the drive at shutdown that could possibly lead to a boot virus. Delete the NEC drive, do not touch the IDE drive, that's your harddrive. Of course even if you do windows will simply refind it and force a reboot to finish installing it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds