Computer Randomly shuts down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MilanKovacevic, Aug 20, 2010.

1. MilanKovacevic

MilanKovacevic Private E-2

HI,

its my first time on these forums, i have not been able to find a solution anywhere.

i recently put together a new pc, with the below components.

- ASUS p6x58 premium m/b
    - intel i930 cpu
    - asus ATI radeon 5970
    - 3 x 2gb patriot gamer 2000mhz ram
    - 850w psu
    - auzentech x-fi forte sound card
    - asus dvd burner
    - seagate 2tb hdd

neadless to say i spent a lot of money and am tearing my hair out!!

first time i put everything together i inserted the windows 7 64bit disk to install. half way through installation the computer just shut down.

following this, every time i turned it back on, it would shut down within 30seconds of turning on, and a few times even before the monitor would turn on.

i took out 2 ram sticks and tried with 1, still same result.

i took out sound card, same result.

i ripped it all apart, put it back together as carefully as humanly possible, and same thing. after 30 seconds it would just shut down.

i thought at first the buttons on the case were faulty so i disconnected them from the m/b and turned the comp on directly on the m/b but same deal.

is there anybody out there that may know what is going on or has faced a similar problem? its becoming increasingly obvious that im going to have to take it in to a repairer and cop the fees..

2. Are you sure you have mounted the heat sink on the CPU correctly with the correct amount of thermal paste? could just be overheating?

3. holiday

holiday Private E-2

If it's not the CPU overheating, or a fan not strapped down / snapped down fully the the next thing I would try is a different power supply just in case your new one is a dud. If that's not the problem then check to make sure that everything's clean and straight on the motherboard mount, as in nothing that can cause it to ground out to the backside of the case.

4. Does it restart or just switch off?

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

One more suggestion: try unplugging everything, including hard drive, and see if the board POSTs...

6. MilanKovacevic

it could very well be the CPU overheating.

after it hasnt been turn on overnight and i try in the morning, i get 45 seconds or so before it shuts down. but then when i try straight away after, it shuts down after only a few seconds.

i did take the cpu fan off and put it back on a couple of times. is that sticky paste between the fan and cpu readily available to buy at computer repair stores?

7. MilanKovacevic

i will try after work this afternoon but what do you mean to see if it POSTS

8. Empyre65

Empyre65 Private E-2

Power-On Self-Test

9. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Thermal paste should be readily available at any good 'puter store...

The POST should give you a good starting point, tell you if the mobo/RAM/processor combo is passing their own self-tests...you can plug in your hardware components one at a time, see if the symptoms change...

You might check your BIOS, see if there are any clues there...

Does your board have Express Gate loaded? If so, you might be able to boot to it and see if there are any temp. monitors...

10. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

someone forgot to remove the plastic cover from there cpu ... =/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds