Computer Rebooting Ramdomly, 1 year issue, tried everything almost, HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xdorkx, Jun 14, 2007.

1. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Hey Geeks, heres my situation, I built a rig about a year ago (see below for specs)

AMD Athlon 64 3700+,
    Memory:
    2048MB RAM (2x1gig corsair xms)
    Hard Drive:
    250 GB harddrive, 16mb cache
    Video Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT/GTO
    Windows XP Home Edition sp2

Anyways, Since I built it, i've had 2 issues.

#1. It reboots RANDOMLY for no reason, it might do it once a day, sometimes 2-3 times a day, there is no patern to this.

#2. I'm usually NOT able to install game ugprades (for example the newest patch for bf2 and bf2142, now I cant play those games bc i cant install the upgrades)..When I try to install, it usually says something about the file being corrupt, or something of that nature.

Anyways, I've replace the power supply to a bigger better one, I re-installed a FRESH copy of Windows XP Home SP2 and activated it, I got a new motherboard: ABIT KN8 SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD
    And last night I even switched out the Hard Drive (New Western Digital 200gb, 8mb cache, 7200rpm)

Anyways, I THINK the hard-drive resolved my issue with being able to install software, i'll play with my pc more tonight and see if I can update some games once I install them, but my problem is...it still reboots. I switched out the HD yesterday actually, and it's started to reboot more now...once it even did 5 times in a row right after it powered up.....then other times it wil go for 2-3 hours withOUT doing a reboot.

Anyways, i've talked about this with a few gamer/geek friends such as myself, and I'm not able to figure this out, yet. Could the issue be the video card, the ram or even the case (lanboy)? Can somebody recommend some diagnostic software that could help me determine this, or recommend another plan of action?

Thanks in advance, I built this system a year ago and have tried the replacements I mentioned over the past 6 months or so, most recently being re-installing XP on my new hd yesterday afternoon.

Thanks in advance, and helpp!!! :cry

Jeff

p.s. I just realized it spelled randomly wrong in the subject, forgive me please :)

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

3. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

I thought so too initially, the first new component i got was a new power supply....i'm at work now, but at this point it cant hurt to check so i'll try this tonight, this has happened with two power supplies, 2 motherboards, 2 hard-drives..... its getting frustrating. :cry
    Hold me? :p

4. abri

abri MajorGeek

Definition of ramdomly: random reboots which occur due to problems with RAM

Sorry for your random problems. I hate random problems. They're the worst! I wondered about overheating or corruption in the OS. Also how big is your psu and have you tried running the computer systematically by turning off one program at a time to see if you can isolate the problem in one of your programs. When a problem happens inconsistently, it helps to take notes, what is being loaded when, what time of the day it is, how long the comp has been running, which software is running at the moment it reboots.
    :)
    abri

5. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

I think its most likely a hardware issue, I re-installed xp FRESH yesterday and it rebooted within 20 minutes of being installed, without any software installed yet other than a few xp updates..hmmmm, interesting

Oh yeah, my psu is 450 watts, i've got the same one as a friend of mine, it's a good psu and should do the trick for my set up...

6. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Anybody else have any ideas? I doubt its the PSU as i've swapped it out already...then again, I could be wrong, but any other ideas?

7. ohbeone

ohbeone Private E-2

Greetings programs!
    I'm the main fellow geek gamer who's been trying to help xdorkx with his situation. I haven't been able to do a hands on look but have tried to advise to the best of my ability. I've done my share of computer modding and building and haven't had any of my own problems go unresolved.

He has an OCZ 520W modstream PSU with one PCIE power connector for the 7900 GT and he's not using SLI so there's plenty of wattage and amps and it should be solid.

I did recommend he install sisoft sandra to get some readings on all his hardware and thank you clark kent (your secret is safe with me) for the suggestion of that everest software. If that has a more 'real time' reading on the PSU voltage perhaps we can find something. The only problem is, this is already his 2nd PSU (first one was a modded PSU from ebay) and the same problem exists so hopefully it wouldn't be the PSU again.

We've pretty much ruled out mobo, PSU, HD and OS. He has a brand new copy of XP, a brand new HD, a new PSU and a new mobo and still has rebooting issues. I think the program installing problems was an issue with a corrupt hard drive and he'll know if that is fixed for sure tonight but this rebooting issue still remains. As far as I know, all he has done is install XP, windows updates, gfx drivers and possibly mobo drivers. And to have 2 different mobos with rebooting issues would just be insanely bad luck. So, if there's anything anyone knows that he can look into about the gfx card, RAM or anything else we've missed we appreciate it. He'll check the PSU voltages to make sure they're stable.

When I can get a hands on look I'll be checking the case for possible grounding issues and stuff like that. Overall, it's an annoying weird issue. Does anyone know a good RAM diagnostic tool that might find something wrong with the timings or voltages that could cause reboots? Thanks all for your suggestions. :wave

8. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

BIOS, APM or ACPI ? Just a guess...confused
    Bug

9. ohbeone

ohbeone Private E-2

Can you expand on that? As far as I know he has whatever BIOS shipped with his mobo and has installed the latest drivers. If it were a bios issue on the mobo I would hope that out of 2 different mobos (brands and everything...ASUS to Abit) one of them would have one that isn't causing reboots. I guess it could be worth a try to flash to a new bios if there is a newer one however it doesn't seem like that would be the issue. I don't think either of us have flashed a bios before so that would be a new adventure.

I'm unfamiliar with what APM and ACPI would be.
    Thanks!

10. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

graphics card? or maybe the gaphics card drivers? do you get BSOD ever?

11. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

I updated the driver with no problem....what is bsod though, i'm not familiar with that.... confused :)

12. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

blue screen of death

13. ohbeone

ohbeone Private E-2

Using latest NVIDIA drivers and the card has worked fine AKA, no BSODs and ran BF2142, WoW, CSS, CNC3 etc with full settings no problems. If it's some issue with the Gfx card it's not the drivers and I've never known of issues with this 7900GT and I don't know how to investigate it other than switching it with another one and see if the rebooting stops. Anyone know of anything to check to isolate it to the gfx card?

14. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Ah, nope, I've been fortunate enough to never face the dreaded BSOD. :D

15. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Keep in mind all, Ohb3one is a friend of mine has been trying to help me with this for just over a year now, so don't confuse his posts for another issue, they're the one and the same... :)

16. JJJIrish05

JJJIrish05 Sergeant

well you guys could always try switching graphics cards for a day assuming they are both pci-e and see if yours stops rebooting and maybe his starts rebooting?

17. ohbeone

ohbeone Private E-2

That is of course the best way to figure out if it's the gfx card. However, I haven't upgraded from my AGP system yet so my gfx card is out. I have a 7600GT in my wife's machine however she probably would argue me taking it and I'm a little wary of trying my own card for the minute possibility of there being some weird electrical issue in his machine that could some how corrupt another grfx card. I know I know, probably not gonna happen but it's not a chance I want to take with a 2-300 dollar component. But that is such an EASY way to rule out the gfx card. I suggest maybe he go buy a gfx card just to switch it out and see if it gets better then return the gfx card. That is, if places take gfx card returns...probably not though. Otherwise we have to find another PCIE card SOMEWHERE to try it out. Until then we just keep working on other possibilities.

18. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

19. ohbeone

ohbeone Private E-2

Interesting. Would suck of BOTH mobos had bad capacitors. The first one was AUSA K8N SLI deluxe I believe and now he's using the ABIT K8N SLI...worth looking at though.

20. ohbeone

ohbeone Private E-2

Interesting. Would suck of BOTH mobos had bad capacitors. The first one was ASUS K8N SLI deluxe I believe and now he's using the ABIT K8N SLI...worth looking at though.

21. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

I tried to Download everest and check the voltage
    could not dl the file

[​IMG]

Any ideas? Brand NEW hard-drive, brand new copy of xp....grrrrrrr

22. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

re-download the program maybe it was corrupt download.....

So un-install first ,then re-install.....

And now i suspect more the mobo.....

I had a mobo ONLY last 40 minutes and it gave out.....

23. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

It's my 2nd mobo, this one brand new off new-egg...both were doing the exact same thing....

24. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Try this.Go to My comp>properties>advanced>Startup and recovery>uncheck automaticaly restart,press OK.

25. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Since you have changed most of the internal components is there any equipment on the power line or nearby which could be causing dips or surges?
    Tram/ subway stations are good candidates.

Secondly I had a pc to repair once where a failed (not the mobo) pci board had shorted out the pci bus. Removing the board immediately cured the problem.

Does the problem occur in safe mode?
    Can you boot and run the pc from linux or just a windows 98 boot floppy and is the problem still there?

Studio T

26. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Double Post :)

27. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

At first I thought you were joking, then i read it again..i unchecked that, hopefully it'll write a log file or something...thank you, I unchecked that box...now any ideas on how to fix things? Thank you by the way, i'm hoping that will at least stop THAT problme. :)

28. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Good thinking, Goran

You will now meet the blue screen of death when the pc next halts.

Post exactly what the error message is.

Studio T

29. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Actually, i'm about 100 feet from train tracks, electrical trains go by, but not as often as this reboots sometimes........you might be on to something, but still.....nothign else powers off in here

Regarding safe-mode, I can log into it but i havent stayed logged in long enough to see if that happens, and i dont have linux or win 98 unfortunately... :-( It's a brand new copy of windows though, my old copy did the same thing (it was a not so legal copy though, hence this one, everythings legal now though :D )

Interesting points you make...there are 2 other pc's in this apt though, and they never reboot like mine does...so i dont know about the train tracks

30. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Guess I better do some stuff and see what happens...good thinking indeed, thank in ADVANCE fellow geeks, this means alot to me..hopefully we can all sovle this mystery, lol

31. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

This is what I do for every comp I config for my clients.I hope that random restarts will stop.

32. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Thank you, me too, lol, now it's just a matter of figuring the rest out:

Heres my most recent error in the system log, i havent really got into the engineering side of it YET, but I plan to, \

So, throwing myself out there for now knowing this stuff, this mean anything to anybody? :)

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    {BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1}
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

33. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

34. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

None yet, fresh install of windows yesterday around this time, ive kept my system minimal as of now to help pinpoint any issues, and avoid having to re-do it again if i need to re-do windows again for some reason, lol

35. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

36. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

The good news is, it stopped rebooting, so thank you for that trick. I checked the log, and its pretty much non stop errors in the log every few
    seconds now.. Heres what the most recent one says, with a bit more than the last one: Thanks again btw, i appreciate everybody's help! :)

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: DCOM
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 10016
    Date: 6/14/2007
    Time: 4:48:08 PM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
    Computer: JEFFS-GAMER
    Description:
    The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
    to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

37. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

38. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Check this out .This man have similar problem like yours and he find the answer.

Hi,

I purchased the NI8 SLI GR from a fair in London and I must say it's great. I have not had any major problems with it, no overheating problems or lockups as reported here. It seems to be a great MB.

The only bug I seem to have is after booting I have a look in the Event Viewer and find the following error that keeps on repeating the longer the machine is used.

----
    ----

After checking in regedit I find it's due to nSvcAppFlt.exe part of the Network Access Manager suit.

"C:\PROGRA~1\NVIDIA~1\NETWOR~1\bin\NSVCAP~1.EX E"

What can I do to resolve this error? It does not seem to be affecting the performance or causing any issues. Just filling up the error log?

Any help

Max11max

*** UPDATE *** added 5th June

I managed to sort this out and it looks like the Network Access Manager does not have the authority to turn off the windows firewall if you select it to do so. Turning this off manually solved the problem.

39. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

LOL thank you, i think I found that one the same time as you. :p I just UN-installed the NAM completely, it was sent a stop command and the errors stopped in the event log, I hope i can live withOUT the network access manager, it's a pain, lol.

I wonder if that fixed any install problems though.......

40. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Post and will see.About the double post,I though that you will not see the site.:D;)

41. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Son of a biscuit.....

I just installed everrest with no problem, perfect install, disabling nvidias NAM might have done it....

42. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

:DElvis is left the building!!!!:D

43. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

So one year issue is out of your life?

44. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

I'm hoping so man, lol, if you live in southern california i'd love to buy ya a beer sometime....i'm sure ohbeone will join us..............lets just wait a few hours though, i'm dl'ing the bf2 patch now (1.41), previously i was NOT able to install this patch, if i'm able to install this then i KNOW the issue is resolved

so to you I say thanks, 1 year issue is looking like it might just be resolved, :D :major

I'll keep ya updated, i'm watching this like a hawk now....btw, what made you think to check what you did?

45. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Firstly,I live in Macedonia,if ya know were i9s.About(what made you think to check what you did?),well you know:Simple things are hard to notice,andmy job is to give to my clients only the best,about config,formating, tuning the OS,every thing.BUT THANKS FOR THE BEER!I've just have with me one.

46. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Yes, greece, of course....(I used to work for american airlines, it was my job to know cities, haha)

Thank you VERY much, you do your job quite well! :major:D:cool

47. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

WOW, just when I thought all was going well

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

*Cue music*

The error said"

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

then at the bottom it said "nvtCP.SYS ADDRESS b5....etc etc"

On a good note, i dunno...lol, this is discouraging...

48. xdorkx

xdorkx Private E-2

Hmm, still seems ok though, i was able to install windows live msgr, which i was NOT before...i'll know in a few hours for sure, but its much better, for sure! :):D (just not 100% sure yet)

49. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Glad you have made some progress with the installation, even if not with the underlying problem. I did say

You need to post the error message. This contains a number code for the error. It looks a bit like

stop x 000 000 7A ..........

Would have thought after 1 year of problems it was worth isolating the problem into compartments hardware/operating sys/drivers.

You can download a 98 boot from

www.bootdisk.com

Studio T

50. abri

abri MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds