Computer refuses to use 4gigs of ram!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blanket3, Jul 21, 2008.

1. blanket3

blanket3 Private E-2

Hey i had 2x 1gig (6400) patriot ram i just got new 2x 1gig(8500) patriot ram and when i tried installing them my computer would not post ... i have tried these combinations of the ram:

Note:
    6 - 6400
    8 - 8500

66 OKAY
    86 86 FAIL
    88 66 FAIL
    88 6 OKAY

Any ideas?

EDIT >>>

mobo specs

Brand ASUS
    Model P5N32-E SLI Plus
    Supported CPU
    CPU Socket Type LGA 775
    CPU Type Quad-core / Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium
    FSB 1333/1066MHz
    Chipsets
    North Bridge C55+MCP55P; a.k.a. nForce 650i SLI & nForce 570 SLI
    Memory
    Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin
    Memory Standard DDR2 800
    Maximum Memory Supported 8GB
    Dual Channel Supported Yes
    Expansion Slots
    PCI Express x16 2 x PCI Express x16 slot, support NVIDIA SLI technology, at full x16, x16 speed (blue)
    1 x PCI Express x16, at x8 speed (white)
    PCI Express x1 1
    PCI Slots 2
    Storage Devices
    PATA 1 x ATA100 2 Dev. Max
    SATA 3Gb/s 6
    SATA RAID NV RAID 0/1/0+1/5 JBOD
    Onboard Video
    Onboard Video Chipset None
    Onboard Audio
    Audio Chipset ADI AD1988B
    Audio Channels 8 Channels
    Onboard LAN
    LAN Chipset Marvell
    Second LAN Chipset Marvell
    Max LAN Speed Dual 10/100/1000Mbps
    Rear Panel Ports
    PS/2 2
    USB 4 x USB 2.0
    IEEE 1394 1 x IEEE 1394a
    S/PDIF Out 1x Optical, 1x Coaxial
    Audio Ports 6 Ports by SupremeFX Audio Card
    Onboard USB
    Onboard USB 3 x USB 2.0 connectors supports 6 ports
    Onboard 1394
    Onboard 1394 1x 1394a
    Physical Spec
    Form Factor ATX
    Dimensions 12.0" x 9.6"
    Power Pin 24 Pin

2. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

change to a 64 bit OS 32 bit only suports upto 3 Gb

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Failure to post wouldn't be an issue with the ram limitation in windows sorry. Please make sure we read the whole topic before posting advice.

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Using 4Gb of RAM can be a bit of a drain on a system. Installing the faster RAM (8500) is only going to be able to go as fast as the slowest modules within your system, therefore with all 4 modules you will only be able to run them at 6400.

I would try going into your BIOS and "manually set" the settings on the RAM, you will have to goto Advanced Chipset Options:

Memory Frequency [400MHz] Double Data Rate will equal 800MHz

then I would loosen the main timings to:
    CL-RCD-RP-RAS
    5-5-5-18

Also increase your DRAM Voltages to at least 2.0v (may need 2.2v, but be aware this is going to generate heat). Once you are in the OS again have a look at the SPD settings from CPU-z on the slower modules and make sure all the RAM has those Voltages, the highest timings from both sets and the lowest speed i.e. MHz.

Hopefully the manual settings will allow them to function. Do you have any links on the modules you have?

5. blanket3

blanket3 Private E-2

right doing all that clocking still wont fix the ram problem, ill still only have up to 3 gigs.

windows fixed the ram issue and can read up to 4 gigs, my computer can support up to 8 so even if windows couldn't read it, i should still be able to post with 4 gigs but the system will still read 3

6. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Have you tried swapping the modules around to make sure it isn't the DIMM slot, or the configuration of the RAM modules?

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Look Im a bit confused by what you mean here.

A Windows 32Bit system (XP or Vista) will only ever use and read slightly over 3GB of RAM:

The 3GB-not-4GB RAM problem

This is one of the better explanations on this issue.

8. blanket3

blanket3 Private E-2

Okay i might be me but i dont think some people are understanding me ...

When i put in 4 gigs into my computer the computer will not POST! i cant do anything it just sits there ... no pointing just sits and does nothing

3 gigs everything is fine.

I have tested all the slots except for the last one which I will be testing later on today but i dont think thats the problem.

9. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

First load it with Fail-safe opinion then add the 4 gigs

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well this is what I was commenting on earlier, you may not have enough Voltages going to the RAM and FSB to keep it stable with the 4Gbs. Furthermore placing RAM modules of different speeds (MHz) and most likely different timings on auto settings may not be allowing your system to post.

The best thing you can try is to place all 4 RAM modules in (after testing that final DIMM slot) and running memtest86+ for several passes before you enter the OS to ensure all the RAM modules are good.

11. blanket3

blanket3 Private E-2

Heres a nice update to my problem...
    so like i said i tested out the ram slots and....

tested the slots and its not them everything works 100%

when i put in the 4 gigs again just to see ... it said that i was missing a system file and the computer needed to repair or reload windows ( i figured it was just from powering on and off so much ) i powered off and stuck the cd it computer would continually ask what start up mode i want than restart sometimes it would post sometimes it wouldnt. so i thought **** it and took out the ram and computer posted and booted into windows and everything's the exact same as it was when i started...

i really doubt its a voltage problem

my p/s is
    M12-700(SS-700HM Active PFC)
    700W

(here is some specs and a review curtsy of Dr mc google P.H.D)
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article676-page1.html

12. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Did you try:

Memtest86+ 2.01

Not sure if you have a floppy but it may work off a usb drive as long as you have that set up as a "boot device" in BIOS. It will check that all the RAM modules are ok.

13. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

BoldEagle didn't mean power supply problem he meant voltage from the board. The mb controls voltage to ram with it's own regulator and by putting 4 sticks in, the draw may be more then the board is putting out. this voltage is adjusted in bios.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds