Computer restarts about once a month.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Searinox, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Searinox

Searinox Private First Class

At first I started this in the Software forum, but after months it became clear that software/OS was not the cause of my restarts.

I am unable to pinpoint what is causing my computer to restart about once every month. The restarts come with no warning, in both idle and load conditions, and seem in no way linked to what I do at that moment. I have checked for memory errors, CPU and HDD temperature, HDD errors, exchanged the power supply, and even removed the UPS my computer is powered through. I was unable to fix the problem. The computer operates perfectly nomal otherwise, and the restarts have not increased in frequency...

My motherboard is a Gigabyte P4 Titan. If there are any experts who could tell me what kind of obscure conjuncture of factors could cause such restarts, I await opinions...

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Right click on My computer>properties>advanced>startup and recovery>uncheck"automaticaly restart.If it's OS related then you will have BSOD,and you will know what is the problem with your comp.
    Post what you have done.

3. Searinox

I did that ages ago. There is no blue screen. Just a sudden, raw reboot like someone pressing the RESET button on the case.

4. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Check your CPU fan,I don't want to say that your comp is dirty,butmaybe your fan don't run like before.maybe rpm's is getting low from time to time,and your CPU is getting hot ,so the result is reboot.
    And do you check for virus?.

5. Searinox

I checked for any form of malware and came out clean. Also I've been through fresh reinstalls and a switch from XP to vista and the problem has persisted. The CPU is at a constant 55 celsius and I replaced my heatsink with a new one 3 months ago.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Only obscure option I can think of for this if its monthly and this is a home PC, depending on your locatity, the question is do you suffer power spikes, where as power may fluctuate and drop, seen in lights dim etc

Cannot see malware reseting you once a month, then there is the motherboard, could think battery is loosing power, but this wouldnt be monthly, and more likely to give you a none starting PC over reseting,

heat... well thats still a rare one to restart your PC monthly over more as your PC maybe on for a while per day and heating then heat would reset a PC daily.

Another outsider is as its monthly, is the day a tuesday or wednesday? may sound a weird question but rationale behind me going mad is that Microsoft issue updates every month on the 2nd Tuesday of the month and could filter into Wednesday and poss thurday with Automatic Update turned on as most updates now require a reboot.

Or you have soem backup or cleaning routine in a scheduled run and it needs a reboot to complete.

7. Searinox

My Windows Update is disabled from running automatically, as for power spikes, well, I have an UPS. If all else fails I'll just have the darn thing serviced!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds