Computer restarts handling media

Discussion in 'Software' started by Swissroll, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Swissroll

Swissroll Private E-2

Hey everyone thanks in advance for reading this rather lengthy post.

About a month ago my computer began to restart every so often while fast forwarding or rewinding media files. The problem went from every once and a while to nearly ever time. Following that problem streaming video would lock up my browser and lead to a restart.

I took it to one of my computer savvy friends and he has been working on it. He ran mem test and it passed. We replaced the hard drive with a brand new never opened one, reinstalled xp and we sill had the problem. Updated drivers, BIOS, etc. The only thing that works so far is using a different medial player (VLC) for the time being.

This solves my media problem but not online streaming issues. One intersting thing I will mention is files from youtube.com will play fine but files from like nothingtoxic.com, break.com will cause the restart. This leads me to believe that the problem lies withing some type of corrupt windows media file. Sorry if I sound ignorant, but thats what I am :)

So guys that are much more intelligent than myself. What could be the problem. Thanks alot again.

Swissroll

I am

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds