Computer Restarts instead of shutting down when I press the Shut Down option

Discussion in 'Software' started by malmsteen, Dec 1, 2007.

1. malmsteen

malmsteen Private First Class

Hi folks !!!
    Im using Windows XP, and for the past few days whenever i try to shut down the PC, it restarts instead of shutting down. At first, i thought i might have clicked Restart instead of Shut Down accidently, but that didnt seem to be the case. Although, the PC shuts down in the second attempt.

Anyone knows how to solve this problem ?? Help would be gladly appreciated.

PS : Thought it might be worth mentioning, that i had my PC reformatted just 2 or 3 weeks ago.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What CD/DVD writing program do you use?

3. malmsteen

Its Nero 7 Ultra Edition.

4. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

5. malmsteen

Sorry to bother u guys again. I checked the above link, quite useful. According to the guide, if u have any illegit program installed, it would cause restart on shutdown attempt. So, i uninstalled the cracked version of Techsmith Snagit, and the problem seemed to be solved.

But, then last night, it happened again. And now, i cant think of what else to do. I really need some help with this. Help would be gladly appreciated.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Please follow the article completely. If you are still restarting when shutting down, it sounds like you have not diabled "automatically restart" as outlined in the article.

7. malmsteen

Alright, i disabled the "automatically restart" option last night, and it shuts down fine. So, if this is the case, then it means i have some system failure, right ?

How do i repair it then ? Would the checkdisk procedure fix this ?

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, it means something is/was crashing on shutdown. Keep an eye out for erors.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds