Computer restarts on connection to the internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mocca4, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Mocca4

Mocca4 Private E-2

Hi
    Im not sure whether i should be posting here or in the sofware forum...
    My computer restarts itself every time it connects to the internet...
    i have motorola cable modem...at first i thought it was becuase of malware and posted in the malware section, however after trying a few things i was directed here.
    My modem and internet works fine on my laptop through ethernet cable and my computer does not reboot when in safe mode with network connections and connects to the internet with no problems..
    Some of my famiy said they heard a clicking noise coming from the computer a few days before we had this problem
    i have not installed any new hardware or software recently...
    Once i presesd 'disable system reboot on faliure' and it came up with this error message on a blue screen...
    A problem has been detected and windows had to shutdown.....
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL....
    it then went on to say about checking hardware and software recently installed and how to get to safe mode......then it had technical information;
    ***STOP: 0x000000D1(0x00000000,0x00000002,0x00000000, 0x00000000)
    Beginning dump of physical memory
    dump complete

another thing is that i have no device manager...i right click on my comp, properties, hardware, click device manage but all that comes up is a screen named console root, and it says there are no items to show in this view.
    There is no list of my devices or anything....

I have tried Diagnostic Startup and disbled some services on start up but i get the same problem...
    so bascillay the computer and internet works on safe mode but not in normal mode.....
    any advice is greatly apperciated
    Thankyou
    Mocca

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a popular problem, tough to fix.

Usually a driver issue. Update drivers first, especially your network card.

3. Mocca4

Mocca4 Private E-2

Hi
    Is updating the network card and updating the driver of the modem under the network card in device manager two differnt things?
    Iv updated my motorola surfboard SB5100 driver.
    Still no good
    Is there a way to pin point which driver could be causing the problem...they all say they are working.
    Im a bit lost when in comes to hardware and things of that nature....
    any other advice
    Thanks
    Mocca

4. padams

padams First Sergeant

You could probably fix it fast and easy by doing a system restore. That's what I'd do if I had those symptoms.

5. Mocca4

Mocca4 Private E-2

Hi
    Yeah thats the first thing i did but it didnt work.....

6. Mocca4

Mocca4 Private E-2

Hi
    Iv updated a few drivers but stil the same problem
    i also reinstalled my motorola cable modem...
    I noticed that when i have Panda Titanium Installed it doesnt reboot, and it just comes up with a connection error message, so i disabled the panda firewall and then it rebooted itself...
    so i went to my panda logs and it had blocked the following

Unsolicited DHCP, DNS or WINS reply Source Address IP 10.35.128
    ICMP ECHO REQUEST SOURCE IP Address 66.131.226.197
    ICMP ECHO REQUEST SOURCE IP Address 220.121.92.243
    What does this mean????
    Thanks for you Help
    Mocca

7. Mocca4

Mocca4 Private E-2

Hi
    Ok now i cant even boot up to windows....none of the other safe mode work i get the error STOP: c000021a fatal system error
    This happened straight after my friend trying to install some software to help me but has now made it even worse
    Now i cant even get in to safe mode to do a system Restore
    any ideas..is it looking like i have to reinstall windows
    Thanks
    Mocca

8. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

That sounded like you had a Virus to me...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds