Computer ruined?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Schmeichel, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Schmeichel

Schmeichel Private E-2

Hi guys hello to everyone as this is my first post! :wave

Well recently i have downloaded some software from a site, now then i usually scan everything i have downloaded before i click on it, but this time for some reason i clicked on it. Basically the program was Reg Cure, so i clicked on it then it seemed like the computer was doing something as it was showing my the little sand dial on the cursor.

So i waited a bit and waited then Mcafee picked up that the software wasnt trusted, so i clicked block and block, then things went a little funny, i seemed to loose all icons on my desktop and the the blue bottom taskbar dissapperared. I tried to bring up task manager to close the file if it was even open (because it didnt look like it was), and the computer told me i had to be the administrator to do that, this is wrong as i am the administrator.

Now panicking i reset the computer hoping it was a one off, then to my surprise when booting up wsa fine came to input password no problem, then loading up it shows my icons on my desktop for roughly 1/2 mins then disappears.

So i thought right i will boot up in safe mode, exactly the same although this time there was a admin account aswell, which i didnt create. :(
    So i logged into my account and the same although i was able to do a scan which stopped half way through, again no icons after 1/2 mins and taskbar invisible.

Has anyone heard of this before? Im really worried that my computer is buggered, ive got loads of coursework on there which i need. Please help as im getting desperate! :cry

Thankyou for your time.

computer spec
    XP Pro,
    Mcafee all in one,
    dual core 3.6
    2.5 gig ram,
    250 gig hardrive split into two
    connected to internet wirelessly from router downstairs.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

3. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Google Avira AntiVir Rescue System, write it to cd, boot it up, it will scan the harddisk(s) for malware. Right now if your pc is infected, it's a bad idea to boot it up or restart or reset cuz it will further infect the pc, if that's what you suspect.

4. Kestrelj

Kestrelj Private E-2

I've had it happen before. I went into the registry to delete the program and it wouldn't let me! I checked my permissions on the registry entries of the software, and I didn't have adminstrator privilege on those particular registry entries.

I just slogged through and reset my permissions, and started ripping the software out by the roots! I deleted the registry entries, I did a search in the registry to be sure I got it all, and got everything I could find.

Then I went into the directory and started deleting everything I could find that was related to it.

I KNOW I didn't get it all, but I got enough,and I can hunt down the rest!

But this probably SHOULD be in the Malware forum.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  5. Schmeichel

Schmeichel Private E-2

Hey guys thanks for the replys i will try the Avira AntiVir Rescue System and let you know how it goes. ;)

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I know this is obvious but have you tried system restore?

7. Schmeichel

Schmeichel Private E-2

Hey i cant get into system restore - (tried before), ive tried Avira AntiVir Rescue System and it scanned the whole computer renamed 27 files and now booting up for the first time - hope it works...ill let you know.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds