Computer Running Hot?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carmello2003, Mar 11, 2017.

1. carmello2003

carmello2003 Private First Class

I was given a desktop to fix. The screen kept shutting off after 30min or so.
    Trouble shooting...
    #1 Swapped Monitors shut down,
    #2 Memory Check and Swap OK
    #3 Swapped out Power Supply
    #4 Did a Malware Check OK
    #5 Checked all fans and blew out air ducts in case

Screen still shut off.
    Did a Recovery and set it to Factory.
    Still shut down.

I was stumped. Bought the computer for parts.
    1 year later cleaning out some junk and I attemped to look at it again. This time I put a box fan on it and it ran for 24 hours so I assume it was overheating
    Downloaded "Fan Speed" this is what I found (see pics)
    Is this normal?
    I don't want to throw this computer in the scrap yard.
    Any help is appreciated.
    PS...
    Fan 3 shows Zero RPM not sure which one it is but all 3 fans are running....
    These Temps are just surfing the internet. Nothing else going on.

Thank You In Advance!

Attached Files:

2. carmello2003

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

110°C for your graphics card is too hot. Are you sure its fan is spinning?

Fan 3 could just be a motherboard fan header that does not have any fan connected.

The other temps look fine except the -128C which obviously cannot be right. You might want to check your temps with Speccy.

carmello2003 likes this.
  4. carmello2003

Just removed CPU Fan. It was pretty dry (Heatsink Paste) ordered some and will reseat.
    (When I said 3 fans I was including Power Supply fan)
    RPM's looked OK?

5. Digerati

:(
    Contrary to what some may have told you, there is no need to replace the TIM (thermal interface material) just because it is old and/or dried out! TIM will easily last 10 or 15 years or even longer, AS LONG AS the cured bond between the mating surfaces is not broken.

Note purpose of TIM is to ONLY fill the microscopic pits and valleys of the heatsink and CPU mating surfaces, pushing out any insulating air. Any excess is in the way. And note the liquid portion of the TIM is ONLY there so you can squeeze the TIM out of the tube and spread it evenly over the CPU die. If the TIM dries out, the solids are left behind still filling those pits and valleys.

See The Heatsink Guide: Info about thermal compound and note the following (my bold added),
    Speed fan clearly showed your CPU and other temps were good. You actually risk greater damage by removing the heat sink - this is especially true if you failed to take the necessary ESD precautions before removing the cooler.

carmello2003 likes this.
  6. carmello2003

I have a Static Bracelet I wear. Removed Fan and not CPU.
    I will try it again and if still high I have another computer the same and same CPU Fan, I swap them out. Thank You For Your Advice. Much Appreciated!

7. Digerati

Static bracelets are great but note they lose their effectiveness the more you wear them as sweat, dead skin, dust and other grime gets in there. And while not removing the CPU keeps the pins and pin pads protected, the CPU can still be destroyed if properly ESD precautions are not taken.

Since you pulled the cooler, you MUST now replace the TIM with a fresh new layer - since you broke the cured bond of the old. It must never be re-used so make sure you thoroughly clean the mating surfaces of old TIM, then apply a fresh new, thin layer.

8. carmello2003

Swapped out fans and Wa-La.
    Ran Youtube playlist for 2 hours , Ordered HTP be here Monday. Take a look. Much better. Exceptable?

Attached Files:

9. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Stephen_c16 likes this.
  10. Digerati

I think 74°C is still too warm for just viewing YouTube videos. I would not call that "HOT" (for a GPU) but there is not a lot of "work" going on just displaying videos.

I too like HWiNFO - but the shear volume of information it provides can be overwhelming. Regardless, you need to verify your temps with a 2nd hardware monitor to make sure what you see in SpeedFan is right. I would also make sure the GPU's heat sink is clean and of course its fan spins freely.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds