Computer running really slow after malware removal

Discussion in 'Software' started by georget4886, May 8, 2011.

1. georget4886

georget4886 Private E-2

Hello,

I have been referred to this forum after speaking to mr TimW, I manually removed MSRemoval malware, but may have messed something up in the process and now my computer is running super slow

see thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=237105

* boot up is generally fine, although loading tray stuff up on start up takes a while
    * shutdown takes about 2-3 mins
    * IE8 loads up slowly and firefox even slower, however actually brosing the internet is fine once they have started
    * downloading is fine
    * applications run and load very slowly
    * Edit: Seems to run a bit faster in Safe Mode
    * IE appears to use the most cpu, about 80MB

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

For starters, I would be sure all your data (pictures, music, financial/tax stuff, etc) has been backed up (copied) to a USB or external drive.

Second, clear all the history in your browsers (IE, Mozilla, etc.) and re-run a full scan with Malware Bytes. I have seen cases where cookies or other stored browser history have let the malware back in.

Next, download/install/run Advanced System Care 4. I've found it does the best job of all the free "tune-up" programs without damaging the registry.

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=5927

In the ASC results, pay attention to the hard drive test results. If it tells you to restart the PC, do so and dskchk should automatically run once the system reboots. Once rebooted, re-run the ASC hard drive test. If it fails the test again it's a sign your hard drive is running on borrowed time and should be replaced ASAP. If the data isn't too corrupted, you can clone the entire drive (versus a Windows reinstall). The easiest way to do this is to be sure either the old and/or new drive is a Seagate - you can download and use their free DiscWizard software (available at Seagate's web site) to do this.

Not sure if it's coincidence or a direct result of malware; however I've seen an increase in the number of hard drive issues (failing the ASC hard drive test and/or Windows automatically running dskchk at startup) popping up after performing a major virus/malware exorcism.

Hope these tips help. :)

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  3. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

My question is, before the malware infection, were things o.k. speed wise, or were you noticing a slowdown?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds