Computer runs well then times out, runs well, then times out...

Discussion in 'Software' started by cinderedna, Aug 5, 2008.

1. cinderedna

cinderedna Private E-2

Hi here is the thread I just left as I've been told it's not a malware problem and was directed to here:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1195266&posted=1#post1195266

Hi,

My computer keeps timing out. It runs well at first then 5-20 minutes later it times out. I close the windows I am working on and when I open them again they work, for a time. Then the process repeats.

I was told it is from the Dell downloads on my computer. So far I removed Dell Games, Dell Network Assistant and Dell Support Center from my Add/Remove yesterday but the problem still exists.

I still have Dell Cine Player, Dell Rescource CD, Dell Support 3.2.1, and Dell System Restore. Please let me know what to do.

Thank you,

Cinder Edna

2. Toddzio

Toddzio Private E-2

What do you mean by times out, web pages time out, applications stop responding?

3. cinderedna

cinderedna Private E-2

Hi thanks for replying. When I turn my computer on, it boots up and when I click on the Mozilla Firefox or the Internet Explorer Icon, the window comes up quickly and I am able to do searches or check email, etc. just fine.

After about 10 minutes, when I try to switch to a new URL or send a post or email, the computer does not work. It either stays at the window it is on and does not switch, or the window changes to a message saying that there is an error and a problem with the connection.

When this happens, I move my cursor to the right of the URL and click the arrow that sometimes also says "Go." Sometimes this is all it takes and the computer starts working again, for a limited time. Other times it doesn't work and I must close the windows I was working on and reopen Firefox or IE, and then it works fine again...for a limited time. Then after a while, the computer times out (will not work, switch pages, post an email, etc) again.

Cinder Edna

4. Toddzio

Toddzio Private E-2

It sounds like you might be having a problem with your http sessions timing out. Who is your ISP?

5. Toddzio

Toddzio Private E-2

6. cinderedna

cinderedna Private E-2

Hi my ISP is verizon.

7. cinderedna

cinderedna Private E-2

8. cinderedna

cinderedna Private E-2

Uh oh...OK something weird is going on. My computer has been running fantastic!

Having said that, I was working on a Microsoft Works document for hours and my sister called and we were chatting, and Spybot came up and said something but I couldn't read it in time and it was like click yes 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and then the option was over.

Now when I try to open my document, the message says:

"In order to pen the file, Works needs to use a file converter which may pose a security risk if the file you are opening is a malicious file. Choose OK to open this file only if you are sure it is from a trusted source."

Then I click OK and it says:

"Works cannot open- the file may be in use by another application, the file may not be supported by any of the installed converters, or the file may be corrupt"

What I did today:

I installed my Hewlett Packard printer and a lot of other things got on there. Also, I partially installed Final Draft but couldn't find the serial number.
    Also I noticed that my firewall Online Armour has asked a few times that OOo (OpenOffice) wanted to do something with Win32.

I went to Add/Remove and there is a lot of stuff on there I don't recall seeing last time:

MSMXML
    Learn 2 Player
    Modem Diagnostic Tool
    Netwaiting
    URL Assistant
    Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition Installer
    Microsoft Plus! Photo STory
    Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)
    Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
    Internet Service Offers Launcher
    Java 6 Update 4
    Java 6 Update 7
    JS2E Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
    Dell System Restore
    Dell Support
    Dell Resource
    Also it says Microsoft Works was last used on 8/1/2008 and yet I've been using it all day.

I looked on the firewall config but I only see what it is allowing, not what it's blocking. This is what is on there:

Under "Allowing," my Firewall is allowing 2 or 3 versions of Final Draft even though I just installed part of one.

It says: Final Draft 6.exe, 6.0.10.0 and under this is has
    Final Draft 6.0.0.5 (I remember when I first installed this a couple of years ago, Spybot immediately said my computer had a trojan (started with a B, Bo something?) but then it got rid of it and I don't know if it was connected or not.

Firewall is also allowing DMXLauncher.exe, Documentation & Support Launcher, Express Service Code, File Shredder, dsca.exe, DMXLauncher.exe, Destination Component, Dell Support, Dell Office Activation Helper, DDMI Service, Creator Home, Corel Snapfire Plus, Corel Photo Downloader, HP Com Webreg Patch, Broadcom, Advanced Networking Service, Advanced Networking Application, A~NSISu_.exe, and Play Games; Games, Music, Photo Launcher;

two Google Desktops with the same number,

25 things that start with HP (Hewlett Packard);

Install Consumer Experience Plug-In,

four things that start with IntallShield (one word);

InstallWebreg.exe 0.0.0.0;

Malware Bytes

mdfix01.exe

Ooh! Ooh! Look! Does this mean anything?
    Microsoft Works Data Store
    Microsoft Works Font Cache
    Microsoft Works Wordprocessor

MSI1ADtmp.exe
    MSI1C0tmp.exe
    MSI207tmp.exe
    MSI225tmp.exe

nwiz.exe 6.14.10.11049

OOo_2.4.1.Win32Intel_instal_wJRE_n-US.exe
    OpenOffice.org 2.4, 2.03.9307
    OpenOffice " " same thing repeated again

Process Trigger Driver

psvcptch.exe

quickstart.exe

Scalc.exe

Service Tags Wrapper

Sigmatel Audio System tray application

Single file on demand scanner

Start CinePlayer

Stop Proc

WISCC8B19D191D24D51BB331F885F432745E_6_0_10.MSI

Thanks, CinderEdna

9. cinderedna

cinderedna Private E-2

Uh oh...OK something weird is going on. My computer has been running fantastic!

Having said that, I was working on a Microsoft Works document for hours and my sister called and we were chatting, and Spybot came up and said something but I couldn't read it in time and it was like click yes 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and then the option was over.

Now when I try to open my document, the message says:

"In order to pen the file, Works needs to use a file converter which may pose a security risk if the file you are opening is a malicious file. Choose OK to open this file only if you are sure it is from a trusted source."

Then I click OK and it says:

"Works cannot open- the file may be in use by another application, the file may not be supported by any of the installed converters, or the file may be corrupt"

What I did today:

I installed my Hewlett Packard printer and a lot of other things got on there. Also, I partially installed Final Draft but couldn't find the serial number.
    Also I noticed that my firewall Online Armour has asked a few times that OOo (OpenOffice) wanted to do something with Win32.

I went to Add/Remove and there is a lot of stuff on there I don't recall seeing last time:

MSMXML
    Learn 2 Player
    Modem Diagnostic Tool
    Netwaiting
    URL Assistant
    Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition Installer
    Microsoft Plus! Photo STory
    Microsoft.NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB928366)
    Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
    Java 6 Update 4
    Java 6 Update 7
    JS2E Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
    Dell System Restore
    Dell Support
    Dell Resource
    Also it says Microsoft Works was last used on 8/1/2008 and yet I've been using it all day.

I looked on the firewall config but I only see what it is allowing, not what it's blocking. This is what is on there:

Under "Allowing," my Firewall is allowing 2 or 3 versions of Final Draft even though I just installed part of one.

It says: Final Draft 6.exe, 6.0.10.0 and under this is has
    Final Draft 6.0.0.5 (I remember when I first installed this a couple of years ago, Spybot immediately said my computer had a trojan (started with a B, Bo something?) but then it got rid of it and I don't know if it was connected or not.

Firewall is also allowing DMXLauncher.exe, Documentation & Support Launcher, Express Service Code, File Shredder, dsca.exe, DMXLauncher.exe, Destination Component, Dell Support, Dell Office Activation Helper, DDMI Service, Creator Home, Corel Snapfire Plus, Corel Photo Downloader, HP Com Webreg Patch, Broadcom, Advanced Networking Service, Advanced Networking Application, A~NSISu_.exe, and Play Games; Games, Music, Photo Launcher;

two Google Desktops with the same number,

25 things that start with HP (Hewlett Packard);

Install Consumer Experience Plug-In,

four things that start with IntallShield (one word);

InstallWebreg.exe 0.0.0.0;

Malware Bytes

mdfix01.exe

Ooh! Ooh! Look! Does this mean anything?
    Microsoft Works Wordprocessor

MSI1ADtmp.exe
    MSI1C0tmp.exe
    MSI207tmp.exe
    MSI225tmp.exe

nwiz.exe 6.14.10.11049

OOo_2.4.1.Win32Intel_instal_wJRE_n-US.exe
    OpenOffice.org 2.4, 2.03.9307
    OpenOffice " " same thing repeated again

Process Trigger Driver

psvcptch.exe

quickstart.exe

Scalc.exe

Service Tags Wrapper

Sigmatel Audio System tray application

Single file on demand scanner

Start CinePlayer

Stop Proc

Thanks, CinderEd

10. cinderedna

cinderedna Private E-2

Hi,

Obviously I just spent a long time writing that, and as soon as I hit Submit Reply, my computer said that Firefox crashed.

I immediately went to the Firewall Configuartion and started blocking a whole bunch of things. Then I clicked on the Mozilla icon and it gave me the choice of bringing up the last window. I took a chance and luckily my post was still here so I hit the button and I see it took.

Things I just blocked on the firewall:

Play Games
    ~NSISU
    Dell Office Activation Helper
    Dell Support
    Documentation & Support Launcher
    File Shredder
    Final Draft
    the other Final Draft
    Games, Music, Photo Launcher
    Install Webreg.exe
    Microsoft Works Word Processor
    the four tmp files
    OOo_2.4.1_Win32Intel_install_wJRE...etc
    StopProc
    Wrapper.exe
    Yahoojukebox

I'll just wait to hear from you before I do anything more. Thanks,

CE

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds